ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753530 Members
4750 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ProLiant Gen8 with Ubuntu 16 and no monitor, using iLO remote console: screen size only 640x4

matusa15
Visitor

Re: HP ProLiant Gen8 with Ubuntu 16 and no monitor, using iLO remote console: screen size only 640x4

Hello,

Same problem here,

Fist at alll, im a newcomer to Ubuntu CLI

I followed the process and get stuck , as soon as i get back to the console ill give you the details, but meanwhile, my firmware is not updated, the current version  is 4.8 if im not mistaken, but when I try to dowload the upgrade asks me about Os to be used, for ubuntu only offers up to 12.04, this means that i should be using that ubuntu release?

Regards and thanks in advace

matusa15
Visitor

Hello Im stuckissuing this command

cp drivers/gpu/drm/mgag200/mgag200.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/mgag200/

this is the output, sorry about the spanish, (translation)

(cant create regular file)
cp: no se puede crear el fichero regular '/lib/modules/4.8.0-36-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/mgag200/': No es un directorio (is not a directory)

After creating the module, Im going to copy the module where the modules are stored, but the directory does not exist

Mu guess is taht the source or destination directory is wrong... but i feel like an office user facing an outlook issue dealing with ubunt.. I need to call IT :)

thanks in advance

Cesar

IvoStraka
Occasional Advisor

Hello, I think the problem is that the folder mgag200 does not exist. I probably made a mistake and did not include a step of creating it. You can create the folder by running:

mkdir -p /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/mgag200/

Regarding your updating question, I am not sure what you mean by firmware. The Ubuntu version is irrelevant and your kernel version 4.8.X is fine. I think that you do not need to upgrade.

matusa15
Visitor

Hello,

I managed to go through the whole process, but ubunto doesnt boot anymore.

You can see screencpature where it does get stuck,

I can see that you specified with a rollback procedure, but since I will be stcuked with a low reslution, I will go for a different OS.

Thanks

Cesar

IvoStraka
Occasional Advisor

It would be really nice to see what's wrong, maybe the module is just not modeset. Maybe in Grub you can try playing with modesetting? Basically you do the same thing in Grub as I described in the fallback procedure, but instead of nomodeset, which disables the module, try writing modeset to enable it.

Anyway, just to check, could you please put the outputs of these two commands here?

uname -a
sudo lshw -numeric -class display
iskandar1
Occasional Contributor

i got this error.

root@tsh:/usr/src/linux-source-4.4.0# make menuconfig
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
In file included from scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:23:0:
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:38:20: fatal error: curses.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.host:108: recipe for target 'scripts/kconfig/mconf.o' failed
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/mconf.o] Error 1
Makefile:552: recipe for target 'menuconfig' failed
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

i try to look into /boot directory.. it seems like .comfig file does not exist. (can reffer the attachment)

IvoStraka
Occasional Advisor

It looks like you have not installed the package libncurses5-dev. You can run the command below and it should install anything that is missing.

sudo apt-get install build-essential kernel-package libncurses5-dev fakeroot wget bzip2 libssl-dev

Also, the command ls displays only files that do not begin with a dot. That is the naming convention for hidden files. Try running "ls -a" and you should see .config.

IvoStraka
Occasional Advisor

I just realized that maybe there is a misunderstanding about the .config file. The file in /boot directory is called config-4.4.0-87-generic, which you need to copy into your linux-source directory and rename it to .config. That is what the cp command does. After you have done it, you should see it with ls -a.

iskandar1
Occasional Contributor

thanks in advance. it works well now.