ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753894 Members
7640 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G4 Rack server

Ravi Mittal

HP Proliant DL380 G4 Rack server

Facing prob. while configuring raid option we have 4 hdd (scsi) and don't want to user raid feature but there is no option to diable it.
if we don't define any logical drive then os fails to load saying hdd not found.
if we try to uncheck raid level it doesn't allow to do so.
is it necessary to use array feature why can't we uncheck raid level suppose-in if we don't want no raid level to configure.

need help for the above config.
8 REPLIES 8
CA1036363
Frequent Advisor

Ravi,

There is not enough information here to know for sure, but I would guess that you ordered the DL380 G4 server with the SCSI RAID controller. In order to use the hdd as standalone drives, you may need to connect them to a standard SCSI controller (non-RAID). Some servers have this option built on the motherboard, some do not. There may be some additional option, to disable RAID but I am not sure why you would want to in the first place.

Hope this helps.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

why do you not want to use the RAID controller? I don't know if it can be disabled. You could try defining 4 RAID-0 logical devices (one disk for each). A DL380G4 always comes with a Smart Array 6i controller, it's a standard feature.

Regards,
Stephen
TFountain

We also would like to disable the onboard raid. I have become more comfortable with the software raid in linux and have opted to use that for basically all my servers. Is there a way to find out if there is a non raid controller on the mb to connect the disks too? And there is no way to shut this option off? Even in systems as new as July 06?

Just trying to avoid having to do anything inside the server if possible. Exhaust all options..
Greg Johanson

We have DL380 G3's.
Currently using drives as 6 Raid 0, and then a software raid using those 6 logical drives.
We would also like to be able to turn off hardware raid and use only software.

Re
Greg
ispkkax

Hi Ravi,

No option available to disable RAID in DL380 G4 server, you have an option if you want to utilize whole capacity of your 4 HDD, just you slect all HDD and creat RAID-0 (this is also called bunch of disk).

Regards
Khurshid
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Kurshid, RAID-0 (striping without parity) is NOT the same as JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks), also known as a volumeset.
urbee
Occasional Contributor

Hello.

I own a G3 series server, and i have the same issue with turning off raid - but if i set the two hard drives to RAID-0, Linux shows me both hard drives in fdisk. I'd also like to use JBOD instead of RAID.

Also, in the config, i cannot set RAID-1, just 0, 10 or 5. Any ideas why?
AstonT
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone found an answer to disabling the RAID option on the 6i controller? We too want to use software RAID (ZFS) as it is twice as fast as when using hardware RAID.

I guess the only alternative would be to install a different SCSI card (non RAID) and connect the disks to that.