3434 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Proliant Microserver boot, but no display or network

Martin11175
Occasional Visitor

HP Proliant Microserver boot, but no display or network

Hi all,

I've had an HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver running a headless Ubuntu Server for the last couple of years without issue.
Recently however the server stopped responding and stopped showing up on the connected devices list of our router.
As I was unable to remote into the machine, I tried the steps below:

• Restarting both the server and the router to no effect
  • Connecting directly to the server's iLO and LAN ports directly with a laptop over link-local, but the server does not appear to be assigning itself an address to connect to when sending a link-local broadcast ping from the laptop
  • Connecting the server's iLO port to the router instead, this didn't show up in the connected devices list on the router either
  • Removed all HDDs, attached a monitor and keyboard and attempted to boot to BIOS. Even with frantic mashing of all F* keys the server beeped twice to indicate a "successful boot" but no display is output even while booting

At this point I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. I want to try resetting the BIOS via the CMOS jumper, but I can't find a correct schematic or relevant notation on the system board and obviously don't want to go poking around blindly.

I also can't find the official product ID for contacting HP support? The only two IDs I have are G1610T from the supplier and 712317-421 from the rear of the machine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks,

Martin

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: HP Proliant Microserver boot, but no display or network

You shouldn't have to mash the F keys to get a display.  The POST screen should show when powering on the server. The teo beeps are heard once POST is completed.

Go here http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/manualsResults?sp4ts.oid=5379860&ac.admitted=1493811693130.125225703.1938120508 and then open the HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Maintenance and Service Guide, Page 76 shows the location of the system maintenance switch. You will want to turn on SW6

By default iLO is set for DHCP and doesn't get a local-link address, your product ID is 712317-421 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!