108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Server RAID 5

d_kblee
Occasional Contributor

HP Server RAID 5

Hi!

I got 2 questions that need some guidiances :
1) If one of my server is configure as RAID 5 (1 hot spare and 3 scsi drive)and the first drive is configure as Hot Spare, what i need to do if one of my 3 scsci drive is faulty and need a replacement?

2)It's the same server as above which served as a file server. One of the shared drive which is used for file sharing is running out of space, will adding another scsi drive to the existing raid 5 config add space to that shared drive or it's just another partition?
What need to be done to add this addition scsci drive to the server? Can i just plug in like that(all the drive is hot swappable)? any software configure or drive activation need to be done?

Thks!
5 REPLIES 5
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

1.- Only change the failed hdd, if one SCSI hdd fails in the raid 5 the spare hdd "replace" the failed disk, then when you change the disk the array rebuild data automatically and the spare return to original state.
2.-Are you change basic disks to dinamics disks? if you have dinamic disks you can add the new disk to shared drive´s partition.
if you have only basic disks you only add a new logical drive and move some data to new partition.
check this: http://www.petri.co.il/difference_between_basic_and_dynamic_disks_in_windows_xp_2000_2003.htm
d_kblee
Occasional Contributor

Hi!

All my production servers are now using BASIC DISK. Any problem to upgrade it to Dymanic Disk now?

If i'm upgrading my file server(RAID 5) to dynamic disk, when i slot in additional new scsi drive, is there anything that i need to do(in term of software side) so that i can add the new drive into my existing shared drive?

For this dynamic disk, any different from dynamic disk if any disaster recovery is required?

Thks!
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

take care, you need to make a full backup of your data previous change.
When you change the disk mode you only add the disk to partition with W2003 disk management. And the use of disks its the same, you dont feel any "change" with any disaster recovery sw...
d_kblee
Occasional Contributor

Hi! Is it neceesary to do a full backup and restore back the data? I thought changing it from basic to dynamic and do a restart will do?

For my second question, are you saying that i got the option to choose which partition to join to after added in the new scsi drive?

Thks!
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

dkblee
1. in theory the change from basic to dynamic disk not affect data but , BY SECURITY made a backup and you don´t need to restart the server.
2. Read summary in:
http://e4services.homestead.com/files/support/VolumeExpand.html
regards