ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753969 Members
7229 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE Gen10 Plus (S100i + HBA PCI Card) - How to power the drives?

dquercus
Occasional Collector

HPE Gen10 Plus (S100i + HBA PCI Card) - How to power the drives?

Hello everybody,

I'm having some trouble trying to understand how to add an additional HBA card in my new HPE Gen10 Plus.....

The idea is to keep the current SATA controller with 1 disk (ESXI datastore) and then plug 2-3 HDDs on a different controller where I can enable the pastrough option in ESXI (for a VM acting as NAS). 

How do I power the drives from the 2nd controller? I don't have a normal power supply to connect directly to the HDDs. The connector that is attached to the cage does not allow replacing the SATA cables from the original controller to the new one... Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Raviswamy
Advisor

Re: HPE Gen10 Plus (S100i + HBA PCI Card) - How to power the drives?

Hello sir,

if you are adding addition HDDs in the slot there should be HDD backplan, if not you need to add HDD back plan and connect power cable for the back plan. which will help to power on the HDD.

if you have further concern pls reach HPE suppoert

Thank you

I am a HPE Employee
Thomas Martin
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

do you really have an Gen10 Plus Server? I have found only Gen10 Servers (AMD/Intel) with S100i controller.  The controller support only SATA drives.

Each drivecage has two connectors for the 8 drives. Each port is for 4 drives. Maybe it is possible to connect the first connector to the embedded controller (up to 4 drives) and the second connector to the separate controller (up to 4 drives).  Maybe you have to search for the right SAS/SATA cables to connect the additional controller to the drivecage. Some additional HPE controllers have the same connector as the Onboard controller. The drivecage has a separate power connector so all drives have power.

JamieC1
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Did you find out how to do this ? 

I bought the external supported HBA card for this and want to passthrough only 2 (hdd) drives for TrueNas while leaving the other 2 (ssds) possibly connected to the Mini SAS port on the MB but they are all connected together on the backplane.

How to do it ?

dquercus
Occasional Collector

Hi,

No solution found. I also wanted to do the passthrought to TrueNas. 

At the end I installed TrueNas Scale without VM an a HBA card connected to the 4HD via the SFF-8087.  TrueNas Scale is debian based with support for KVM and Containers. It's still in beta version but so far I'm happy with the results.