1745917 Members
4577 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Gen10 Plus high BMC temperature

Sione
Visitor

I just bought the same server and seeing the same thing, did HP Support ever get back to you on this?

dszpisjak
Occasional Advisor

I managed to get in touch with HPE support. They sent me a new mainboard. I replaced it and saw rhe same high BMC temperature. The L1 support engineer could *not* confirm this is normal behavior. He said they don't have the capcity to test it out on stock hardware and I am running this at home not in a datacenter environment so they cannot provide a reliable comparison.

I left it as is and told the engineer that I refer to my support ticket should this become a problem in the long term.

I asked an electrical engineer friend about the issue and he said these BMC chips are likely built using layered circuits which makes it harder to cool them. I also checked the area of the mainboard where this chip is located and found no passive cooling.

Given the above here is *my* conclusion. This seems to be normal behavior. The chip is indeed hotter than anything else in the chasis (70+ compared to ~50) yet when under heavy load it doesn't go over 85C and its critical threshold is above 100C. I had a thermal shutdown which was caused by a different chip reaching a warning temperature. The BMC was doing fine in this scenario.
Sione
Visitor

Good to know the BMC was not the cause of your thermal shutdown, I was worried that my BMC was running to hot as well so I did some googling and found your post here on it and was trying to figure if it was a issue that I need to worrie about but seems like its the nomral temp range for this computer.

Floyd71
Advisor

I have the same problem with the 07-BMC temperature.

I tried other method with increased minimum fan speed.

For example, when 01-Intel Ambient says that is 19C the 07-BMC is arround 70, but when increase fan speed to minimal 40%, then I got BMC-07 of 65C with 01-IntelAmbient 17C.

From this experiment (for just 10minutes), I feel, that passive cooler would be very helpfull to this BMC to decrease temperature if increased air flow helps to reduce the temperature. 

Please, could you provide photo and identify exactly which is this BMC chip which is hot, in order to put passive radiator on it to reduce temperature?

dszpisjak
Occasional Advisor

I am sorry, I cannot provide a photo identifying the BMC as I haven't done that myself.

Your best shot is asking HP to identify this part or take a cheap thermal camera and measure it yourself.

paradoxhub
Advisor

Did you ever resolve this? I got my Gen10+ a few weeks ago and the BCM-07 temp has been around 75c even when idle or just after a bootup. I have tried running the fan at 100% for 6 hours and it has 0 effect on the BCM temperature.

F0MoTu5

Am I fully up to date?

paradoxhub
Advisor

11.png

Floyd71
Advisor

No, the issue was never resolved. I believe that something with motherboard is not correct.

Get Outlook for Android
Floyd71
Advisor

No I could not resolve it. I am pretry sure that motherboard is problematic and due to this I am only ocassioally run the server.

Get Outlook for Android
paradoxhub
Advisor

Is it the ILO chip that is running hot? I could put some copper heatsinks on it.