1745804 Members
3797 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE Gen10 Plus high BMC temperature

Floyd71
Advisor

Re: HPE Gen10 Plus high BMC temperature

Could you tell me how to identify that iLO chip? Is it on the iLO enablement kit card or it is on the motherboard with letters iLO on them? If that one, when operating it is not observed excessive temperature of them. Shortly after turn off and touching with well-grounded finger, there is no big heat on the surface of the chip. I would say maybe 50C. 

I am concerned about this high temperature which persists always on the Motherboard. 

During the summer time, when room temperature is close to 35 - 36 degrees Celsius the BMW temperature is getting to high (arround 85 C , where the maximum temperature shall not be greater than 105 degrees. 

Here is print-screen (server turned off for more than 24hours) from iLO main-page:

I am pretty sure that coper cooler will not solve the problem. At least when server not operate, the temperature will remain the same.
When operating, with (default) cooler settings temperature will be not more than 2 - 3 C lower which is not significant and it will cause much more loud, cooler usage and more power consumption for cooling - which will open other issues.

I believe that new motherboard design shall be done which will solve the temperature issue.

I will appreciate if could be considered new motherboard to be send to me to serve as spare part, as usage of server (on month usage) is less than 10 hours total (explicitly due high risk of loose production machine due to temperature issue). Due to this, I am still using old HP Microserver G8 (6 years old machine) as my primary server. 

Thank you for considering my message.ILO 5 slika.png

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you ever tell the server model?

Consider to use the latest SPP to upgrade all the firmware, Innovation Engine may also cause false temperatures.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Floyd71
Advisor

My firmware and BIOS are upgraded to latest versions, but no changes with sensor 07-BMC temperature. 

P/N of the server is P16006-421 (Intel Xeon + 16Gb RAM). 

What is "Innovative engine"? could you please explain, so I could try also this one.

Thank you. 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It is obviously a HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10+, need to have a look, since it is different to ther proliants.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Not sure if this applies to your server too:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00099826en_us&docLocale=en_US

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

paradoxhub
Advisor

I have my fan on 100% all the time to keep CPU cool while it's transcoding a lot of media 24/7, the CPU never goes above 55c according to TrueNAS.

But that BCM temp sometimes hits 80, usually hovers around 75. Looking at pics of the board on google images there's the iLO chip there, so I'm gonna put a little copper heatsink on it.

1.png

1.png1.png

Moderator edit: Confidential info erased. 

Raithmir
Occasional Visitor

I just bought a Gen10 Plus too. My temperatures seem the same as yours, and it seems like it's normal.
https://www.servethehome.com/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-plus-review-this-is-super/3/

I will be interested to hear if you adding a heatsink makes a difference. I've seen someone has gone to even more extreme measures!
https://imgur.com/a/7npqgdc

paradoxhub
Advisor

Fan on the side is an interesting idea.

Where did you find that image?

I added little adhesive aluminium heatsinks allover the board on any exposed chips or anything that looked like a power regular or felt warm to the touch after shutting down.

I also glued a pure copper block to my IBM ServeRaid card.

paradoxhub
Advisor

I did the fan mod:

https://imgur.com/a/8jQuXUn

Floyd71
Advisor

Maybe it works, but for one "mature" and not so cheap product the solution should be done by manufacturer and properly implemented on all devices with claimed problem.

I am wondered if simple replacement of motherboard will improve the problem.

Nowdays, I observed new problem apart of the BMC temperature, this is LOM sensor readings - also very high values, close to limit.

Comparing to my older ProLiant Microserver Gen8, very unsatisfied with newer server.

Get Outlook for Android<>