4666 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - OS boot issue

anxion
Occasional Visitor

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - OS boot issue

Hi Guys, 

I have cloned My SSD with OS to a new bigger 1Tb SSD.  I unplugged the old ssd and plugged a new one. After sucesfull cloning, the server cannot see bootable SSD and I see Error in Raid. 

The solid state is connected to the CD slot and I am running Raid 1  

I have attached the picture 

I would realy appraciate it if somone can help me with this?Please 

https://ibb.co/dP7gdGJ

3 REPLIES 3
AshutoshM
HPE Pro

From the screenshot we can see  that the Logical Drive (LD) is in Raid 0.

The size of the LD as per the screenshot shows ~250GB, so assuming that origianl drive was a 250 GB SSD Drive.

Few things that we need to get clarified as below:

The issue description does not crealy mention how the cloning was performed.

How was the drive cloned? OS level Cloning or Drive Mirroring in SSA.

Was the old drive removed with the server Online or Offline.

How was the 1TB drive added to the Array A in SSA.

Did it automatically chose to be part of it or did you perform Array Expansion.

Please find below some recommendations  on best effort basis,

Important: Please make sure that you have a validated data backup before perfoming the below actions.

Please try the following from current state:

Select Re-enable Failed Logical Drive in the SSA GUI on the left.

This will attempt to enable the logical drive.

.If this is successful then need to "extend" the logical drive to use the remaining space.

You may also need to select this logical drive as bootable (radio button) under array configuration tasks.

Alternatively these are the steps needed:

(Will work if Dynamic Smart Array controller is configured with a Flash Backed Write Cache.)

Have the old and new drives attached at the same time.

Using the offline SSA configuration menu migrate the RAID 0 to RAID 1 adding the new drive.

Once the mirror is complete then you may split the mirror resulting in two logical drives.

Now the old drive may be removed and the logical drive on the new drive can be extended to use the full space of new drive.

Ensure this new logical drive is set as bootable.

Please refer the SSA user guide for further information:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03909334

I am an HPE Employee
anxion
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Please see below in bold. 

How was the drive cloned? OS level Cloning or Drive Mirroring in SSA. It was cloned using Wavlink USB 3.0 Dual Bay SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station

Was the old drive removed with the server Online or Offline. The Servers was off

How was the 1TB drive added to the Array A in SSA. The SSD is not in the Array, it is connected to the SATA instead CD. ODD slot.  You can read more about it here admfactory.com/hp-microserver-gen8-install-ssd-in-odd-slot/  In Array i have 4 HDDs each 3tb Raid 1.  

Did it automatically chose to be part of it or did you perform Array Expansion. It did not chose anything, it could not boot so I had to log into the Smart Array Gui

Using the offline SSA configuration menu migrate the RAID 0 to RAID 1 adding the new drive. How can i do it when the SSD is connected to the ODD ? 

Thank you so much for your help. 

AshutoshM
HPE Pro

I am afraid the methods described are not supported methods.
Earlier suggested actions are unlikely to help.

However at own risk you may attempt the below:
Important: Please make sure that you have a valid data backup before perfoming the below actions

1. Try enabling the logical drive 1 using the menu option in Smart Storage Administrator.
2. If this does not work then best course is to back up, recreate and restore.
After taking data backup delete Array A/logical drive 1, recreate new logical drive, reinstall OS and then restore data.

I am an HPE Employee