1748195 Members
2859 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HSV300 and Storage Server

CharAznable
Occasional Advisor

HSV300 and Storage Server

I am trying to cluster two DL380G5 Storage Servers with an HSV300 controller. How do I create a quorum disk that both servers can access? I created a drive and presented it to both but I don't think they are actually seeing the same data because when I create a file on one server the other server doesn't see it. Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You must configure the Microsoft Cluster Service, but you will not be able to access one filesystem from both servers at the same time.
If you need concurrent filesystem access, you must buy additional software like HP's PolyServe.
CharAznable
Occasional Advisor

But don't they both need to see the same Quorum disk to even enable clustering?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Both members MUST have access to the quorum disk to serve as a 'tie-braker'. MSCS uses SCSI reservations to and explicit mounts to control access to the data and preserve integrity.
CharAznable
Occasional Advisor

This makes no sense. I got it where both servers could see the same data on the shared drive when only one of the servers is on. I then shut down the second server and configured clustering on the first node. I am supposed to then power on the second server to add it to the cluster. Allegedly the cluster is controlling the quorum disk at this point so the second node should be able to join but now they are essentially not seeing the same data again.

I set up the Quorum disk as follows:

1. I created a Virtual Disk and presented it to both servers with the second node turned off.

2. I initialized the disk on the first node and formatted it.

3. I created a file to see if I could see it on the second node.

4. I shut down the first node.

5. I powered on the second node and initialized the disk. I assigned the same drive letter (Q:) that was used by the first node. I was able to see the test file I created in step 3.

6. I powered off the second node and turned the first node back on.

7. I created a cluster on the first node using the Q drive that I had created.

8. I powered on the second node and attempted to join it to the cluster using advanced mode so that it wouldn't check the drive letters but it failed because it couldn't access the quorum disk.

9. In the Quorum tab for the cluster it says Locak Quorum even though I specified a specific drive.

I am completely at a loss.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Here is a snipp from a customer advisory dated 12-oct-2006:

""* Windows 2003 MSCS Cluster installation

The MSCS cluster installation wizard on Windows 2003 may fail to find the shared quorum device and disk resources may not be auto created by the cluster setup wizard. This is a known Windows Cluster Setup issue that has existed since Windows 2003 was released. There are two possible workarounds for this issue:

- The issue and recommended workaround are described in the following Microsoft support article: Shared disks are missing or are marked as "Failed" when you create a server cluster in Windows Server 2003 (ID 886807), which can be downloaded from the following web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;886807

- This issue can also be bypassed by setting the load balancing policy for each LUN to NLB using the MPIO DSM CLI.

Microsoft is working on a resolution to address this issue.""
CharAznable
Occasional Advisor

I figured it out. I had to manually add the Quorum Disk as a separate resource and then manually force the Quorum to use that disk. Its ridiculous though because I specified this disk in the initial cluster setup.