ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753795 Members
6722 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do I enable Virtual Technology for VM Workstation on DL380 G4

jrw27

How do I enable Virtual Technology for VM Workstation on DL380 G4

I have a Proliant DL380 G4 on which I wish to run VMware Workstation and allow a virtual machine to PXE boot to 64-bit architecture. How do I enable virtual technology? Or simply how can I enable VMware Workstation to act as 64-bit architecture on this 64-bit Windows Server R2?
3 REPLIES 3
robert walker_4
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

DL380 G4 doesnt have Vanderpool technology (VT), as its also not a 385 it wont be running AMD thus there will be no Pacifica (VT) either.

However for VMWare ESX or Workstation you dont require Virtualisation Hardware - yes for 2008/Hyper-V you need it but VMWARE doesnt.

From memory the DL380 G4 will have after 3.2ghz 64bit processors. There is nothing from memory (although check the BIOS) to activate 64bit. However your host needs to be 64bit, thus Linux or Windows needs to be 64bit to allow guests of 32 or 64bit.

You'd install on the DL380 host Linux/Windows, then VMWARE Server. Once configured create guest as 64bit and it will attempt PXE boot if you configure it (you will need a pxe boot server to force it to load). Personally just use the VMWARE Console - put the guest os iso on the DL380 host and mount the guest off that - in a few mins youll have a guest up and running to configure.

Robert.
jrw27

Robert,

First line was helpful.

However, I'm attempting to run VMware Workstation to test run MDT 2008 Vista SP1 64-bit deployment. VMware Workstation will not PXE boot up to the x64 architecture, only to x86 so my x64 bit image install is failing and I need to find out why.

As I stated in the question the host server is running Windows 2003 Server R2 64-bit. I'm not trying to load an ISO from the DL380. I'm trying to emulate my deployment environment and test why my deployment is failing.

Not sure what all the rest has to do with my question.

jrw27
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

In your post I see no indication that you added the 64-bit windows image to a RIS server?