ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752780 Members
6357 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to easily choose the boot like simple computer ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
OmvUser
Occasional Visitor

How to easily choose the boot like simple computer ?

I try since two day to choose a ssd disk on odd sata for boot.

Omv is intalled on. But i can only boot on with F9 after a bios error while server trying to find system.

I don't unterstand what the "Advanced Options>Advanced System ROM Options>Virtual Install Disk:Enable" is made for.

I don't know why the raid system set the number 5 to this disk while it's on odd sata and not in baie.

Sorry for my bad english.

Xav. France

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You need to provide a bit more information before anyone can attempt to assist.

What model server are you working with?

The VID is part of iLO and generally not enabled. I have not ran across a ProLiant yet that allows the ODD port to be set as the primary boot device when a hard drive is attached.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
OmvUser
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Jimmy

The server is a HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8.

In first, i put the ssd disk in the storage 1, and the 2 disks for data in the numbers 3 and 4 (in raid 1). I had no problem with this configuration, except that after omv system installation i can't boot on the first disk. The bios only propose to start on the logical volume raid, with no access to the single disk 1. I try to manage that with raid interface without success.

Then, i try to change disk 1 as a new logical volume with the raid interface, but it doesn't boot on.

So, at last, i read the notice "Installing a Windows Operating System to an Optional Storage Controller Using Optical Media" and i put my ssd disk on this odd port and think it will allow me to boot system. I reinstall a clean system but bios doesn't give me choice instead of boot on raid logical volume every time.

The only way i have to mount my system is with manual F11 boot option.

Maybe there is a way to install a driver for the odd as a new disk but i dont understand where it is and why it's so complicated !

Merci d'avance :-)

Xavier

OmvUser
Occasional Visitor
Solution

I just change bios boot priority.
Now, in bios : 1 = CD ; 2 = Disk ; 3 = usb.

It seem to be working.
Really strange, isn't it ?

Xavier

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Glad you got it working, I know a few others have tried but don't think anyone has changed the boot order to that sequence. Since the odd port really wasn't meant for a hdd/sdd to be attached it does make sense to have the CD listed first.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!