1751968 Members
4736 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to install additional hard-drives on Proliant ML370

Mauro_35

How to install additional hard-drives on Proliant ML370

Hi to all

i must to install,├м, three additional hard-drives on my Proliant ML370 Server. Someone can help me? Someone can explain me how to proceed?

Thanks

Mauro
6 REPLIES 6
CA1312677

Mauro, how is the 370 configured? How many drivers are in it now? Do you have a RAID controller, & if so, how's it configured? Are these 3 additional hot-swap drives? SCSI or SATA? What's your OS?
Mauro_35

Hi

the operative system is Windows2000 Server, i've just installed three hard-drives in RAID mode by SCSI hardware. I remember that someone told me that i must configured through the BIOS..... is it possible?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Mauro:

Does the server have a Smart Array controller? Most Proliants do, but you did not give specific model generation details.

You can tell if you have a SMC bu going into the device manager, looking under SCSI Adaptors and seeing if one is listed.

Assuming you have a newer 370, it probably has 6 drive slots. The standard 370 comes with no Smart Array controller, only a SCSI adaptor. If that is all you have, then all you can do is software based RAID within Windows. If you have a high Performance model OR you know you otherwise have a Smart Array controller, you have a few options.

1. Create a new 3 disk array and a new Logical unit using the Array Configuration Utility. This will add more usable space to your server, but NOT extend your existing space.

2. Expand your existing Array with the 3 drives incrasing the usable disk space. After expanding is complete, you need to extend your logical drives or create new ones. Once complete, you would need to extend your windws partitions if you extended your logical drives OR initialize the new logical drives and format them.

3. Tell us where you at.... at this point for further options.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Mauro_35

Hi

my ML370 have a SAC 431, but when i launch the utility (Utility Compaq Array Configuration) it says me that the physical unit didn't allocate yet (the "old" unit). My ML370 have 6 drive slots (as you say) and for now, only three are utilize. We have been placed the other three units in the slot. So now we must to configure it.... Can we try to follow your step in this case?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Can you supply a screen shot of the message?

It sounds like the array controller is in the process of doing something. You may or may not have to wait for it to finish depending onthe operation.

As long as the controller is not trying to complete a rebuild, you should be able to create a new array OR expand the existing array.

Which version of ACU do you have?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Mauro_35

the SAC see the three new disk and with a wizard we can choose if expand the logical unit (that are the "old" three disk included) or create a new logical unit.

Now we try to expand the present logical unit.....

I hope that it's working properly