ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753856 Members
7518 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to update PERSONAL ProLiant MicroServer Gen. 8 to latest SPP, BIOS, firmware and iLO Advance

alnesbit
Occasional Contributor

How to update PERSONAL ProLiant MicroServer Gen. 8 to latest SPP, BIOS, firmware and iLO Advanced

Dear all,

I'm new to HP enterprise hardware although I have experience in the space, mostly with Supermicro hardware.  I cannot find a straightforward answer in the HPE website.

My situation is very simple.  I have 2x HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen. 8 machines, which I bought second hand from non-commercial vendors on Ebay (that is people much like myself).  The intended use cases are for personal, experimental, and educational applications at home (learning about networking, creating a personal NAS, etc).

But I am unable to figure out how to get the latest SPP, BIOS, firmware and iLO Advanced status installation files, installation keys, and what I need to get these installed.

I have found the download page for the SPP, I think.  Is https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=en_US&softwareId=MTX_ff582daf008c4f529c4d6c28f6 correct?  But now I am faced with a lot of very expensive sounding hurdles that I must get over before I am eligible to download and install this SPP.

The page tells me that "validation via the HPE Support Centre" and "active warranty or support agreement" are required.  Do I need to purchase these?  How and where?

I understand that SPP takes care of updating the BIOS, firmware, installing security patches in the machine itself, etc.  Unlocking the iLO Advanced features is a separate thing - is that correct?  Where can I access the option to do that from?

Finally, is this really what it takes to get an (up-to-date-as-possible) post-production HPE machine upgraded to its latest essential hot fixes and install the latest supported firmware and iLO Advanced features?  Am I going to have to pay a lot of money for this?

I heard so many great things about this machine that all of this was a complete surprise to me.  I didn't realize until I got the machine home.

Thank you for setting me on the right path!!

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link.]

3 REPLIES 3
LutzHa
Occasional Contributor

Re: How to update PERSONAL ProLiant MicroServer Gen. 8 to latest SPP, BIOS, firmware and iLO Advance

I have a microserver gen8 too. To get BIOS, ILO firmware and drivers you search for that here.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home/driverHome?sp4ts.oid=5390291

To get the latest SPP for that you must have a support contract. For ILO advanced functions you must have a key (license).

I hope I could help a bit!

Lutz

Rafi786
HPE Pro

Good day,

You can refer the below website to purchase services from HPE:

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/services/services.page-5.hits-12.html

You can additionally chat with sales team for better assistance.

Mohd Rafiuddin
I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

vbezhenar
Occasional Advisor

You'll have access for SPP one year since you bought and registered your microserver. If previous owner registered his microserver, you're out of luck. That said, you can find checksum of SPP iso at HP website and may be you can find it somewhere in the internet and verify the checksum, but official way is to buy support contract for unreasonable amount of money.

I bought iLO advanced key at ebay for few bucks. It worked fine.