4855 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I can't log in to 2000AS after install

Bruce Code
Advisor

I can't log in to 2000AS after install

Hi,

I've spent ages searching the internet for the answer to this and I have also posted in these forums, but I simply cannot successfully complete the installation of Windows 2000 AS on our Compaq Proliant 6000. I've tried both the Manual and the Guided paths with the SmartStart CD and neither of those options work...

I'm getting *very* frustrated with it.

Thanks,

Bruce

-------------------------------

P.S. This Thread has been moved from Servers --> General to Servers --> Proliant - Netservers - Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Marc Carney
Valued Contributor

Re: I can't log in to 2000AS after install

Difficult to comment as you don't supply much details.

Do you mean that the credentials you enter are wrong when it's built and ready to log in ?

You will need to supply some more details. Are you building from an image or from an unattend scripted install, or are you installing manually ?

If you are doing it manually it should ask you for the administrator password during setup.

If it is scripted or imaged then the password may be set to something you don't know during the install. If this is true then you need to find it.

The sheep tell me what I need to know
Bruce Code
Advisor

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

When the server restarts after the final process of installing 2000AS, it gets past the 'DOS' style screen where you can press 'F8' for alternative startup options, then it gets about half way through the next '2000 Advance Server' startup screen with the progress bar at the bottom, when it just goes to a BSOD stating that it can't find ntoskrnl.exe

I've done a bit of hunting around since I started this thread and the best I have come up with yet is that the boot.ini tries to boot from 'multi(0)...' not 'scsi(0)...', but I don't know what to change it to. When I log into the existing installation through the recovery console, ntoskrnl.exe is there and where it is meant to be.

The server is using a Compaq 3100ES RAID controller.

It is my understanding that I need to do one of two things:
1) Find the 3100ES drivers on an OEM disc so that I can add them to the install process via pressing 'F6' at the start of the installation procedure, or
2) Create a boot floppy with the proper 3100ES 2000 drivers on it.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the appropriate drivers for 1) and when I follow the process outlined in the MS Q301680 for 2) I cannot boot from the floppy. Not only that, but I'm not familiar enough with the boot.ini to change it.

My technical expertise is with desktops, not servers, so I'm a bit behind the eight-ball with SCSI stuff...

Thanks,

Bruce

Atomic Design Studio
http://www.atomicdesignstudio.com.au
Bruce Code
Advisor

Hi Mark,

Further to my reply above, I have since discovered via the MS web site that it seems to be improper memory sharing for device drivers.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/proddocs/srvgs/sgsappa.mspx

I'm not yet sure how to do all of this, but I'll reply back here when I find out...

Thanks,

Bruce

Atomic Design Studio
http://www.atomicdesignstudio.com.au
Bruce Code
Advisor

Hi Marc,

I'm not getting anywhere with this server. It won't even POST anymore...

Thanks,

Bruce