6125 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Win 2003 SP1 and symmpi.sys driver

BR790937
Occasional Contributor

Installing Win 2003 SP1 and symmpi.sys driver

Hi,

during the installation of Windows 2003 SP1 I get a popup if the installer should replace the symmpi.sys driver. I selected no, but I'm not sure if that was the correct answer to this popup ? Can anyone confirm ?

Franc.
6 REPLIES 6
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Win 2003 SP1 and symmpi.sys driver

Hi Franc,

According to the information in this link definetly you should have to choose "YES" so that the update will be done
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EM040524_CW01&locale=en_US

I hope this will help

Regars
Amha Kassa
BR790937
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the info. I indeed still have the old version on our servers, it's strange though because I keep the servers always updated with the latest versions of drivers and support packs. Support pack 7.20 is installed on all our servers. Maybe it isn't updated becuase we have a raid controller in these servers and the driver is not used ? According to device manager the '64-bit/133-MHz Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter Driver' isn't installed on our servers, but the driver is...

Franc.
BR790937
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I downloaded the update from the hp site, but it reports that it doesn't need to be installed on our system. But I keep it finding strange that the driver is present on our system. Or is it installed by default even though the hardware isn't present ? I'm not sure if I installed these servers using smartstart or from the windows CD itself.

Franc.
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Franc,

If I understand what you mention correctly that you are saying don't have the actual controller (64-bit/133-MHz Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter) in the server but the driver is loaded already

WHy don't you uninstall the driver via device manager if you don't have the controller and see if that helps

Regards
Amha Kassa
BR790937
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

the device is not listed under device manager, but the driver is present in the drivers directory. That's why SP1 complains.

Franc.
BR790937
Occasional Contributor

I've removed the file from the drivers directory and everything is fine now.

Franc.