ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752535 Members
5331 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Intelligent Provisioning and Windows Server 2016 on ProLiant MicroServer Gen8

SOLVED
Go to solution
wolfh
Occasional Advisor

Intelligent Provisioning and Windows Server 2016 on ProLiant MicroServer Gen8

I planned to install Windows Server 2016 on a ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 which is on the latest patch level (Firmware, Bios) via the Intelligent Provisioning Tool.

Unfortunately the setup shows an error "windows cannot read the product key setting from the unattended answer file". I assume that there is an issue with the latest version of Intelligent Provisioning 1.63.192 for a Windows Server 2016 Installlation.

Does anyone have a similar issue or can confirm that this is working?

It seems that there is a 1.64 image too but I could not find it yet:

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/solutions/info-library/index.aspx?cat=hp_intelligent_provisioning#.WG1YlIWcEuX

Any thoughts appreciated....

9 REPLIES 9
wolfh
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: Intelligent Provisioning and Windows Server 2016 on ProLiant MicroServer Gen8

I tried to update my MicroServer with the Intelligent Provisioning Recovery Media (American, International) which worked well - running now 2.5 Version on it.

With that version I was able to install via Intelligent Provisioning the Microsoft Windows Server 2016 - as a next step I used the latest HP Smart Update Manager Version 7.6.0 to upgrade Drivers & Software.

Also this worked as intended.

Surprise for me was that 2.5 Intellignet Provisioning can be installed on a MicroServer Gen 8.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Keep in mind that there are currently two versions of Intelligent Provisioning, 1.xx and 2.xx.
1.xx versions of IP are for Gen8 and 2.xx versions of IP are for Gen9

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I found this:

IP version 1.64 release notes

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c05301995

NOTE:

• For Microsoft Windows Server 2016 installations, you must run Intelligent Provisioning version 2.50 or

later.

Not sure if the meaning of this is to use version 2.50 with Gen8?

Maybe.

However, all documentations I recently found still points out version 1.x for Gen8, version 2.x for Gen9.

Strange.

However, obviously version 2.50 installs on Gen8.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
wolfh
Occasional Advisor

Torsten, this was my understanding too by reading these documents before that you required for Gen9 servers the 2.x versions.

I just downloaded the image, mounted the iso via ILO Remote Console and was surprised that the automatic setup applied 2.5 on the server - I didnt expect that to be honest as I assumed the setup would query the server system and would not apply 2..5. Anyhow that this is not ideal, shows in the fact that I have to use SPP to update / install applications such as Storage Admin which - if I recall correct from the past - was done automatically by Intelligent Provisioning.

I also found the 1.64 Release Notes but no Image / Upgrade for IP for Gen8 servers.

RNR1995
Advisor

Just in case someone else runs across this

G8 =1x

G9 =2x

G8 needs 1.64B

• For Microsoft Windows Server 2016 installations, you must run Intelligent Provisioning version 1.64(B)

or later.

Eaukail

Keylimesoda
Occasional Visitor

I’m having the same issue as original poster with server essentials on my gen 8 Microserver, even running IP 1.64B.

Should I try 2.5, even though it’s unsupported on Gen8?

EDIT:  IP 1.64B was still buggy and didn't recognize Windows Server 2016 Essentials. 

Installing the latest (2.6.1) IP on my Microserver worked great and allowed the OS to install correctly.

goranrad

Wher can you download the latest (2.6.1) IP.

Sorry foud it here:

https://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=1008862660&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4234

Regards
/goran

hakanvar

Windows server 2016 Essenitals with IP 2.61  succesfull.  2.70 is not accepting essentials. My server Ml350p gen8