ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753905 Members
9798 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LC 2000 won't recognize 512 MB Chips also won't update BIOS

CA1345472

LC 2000 won't recognize 512 MB Chips also won't update BIOS

Any thoughts on why an LC 2000 would not recognize 512 MB RAM chips? The chips are brand new and from a reputable vendor, however the system recognizes them as 256 MB chips.

Thinking to update the BIOS to the latest rev (2002), I attempted to do this. However, the machine would begin to run the BIOS updater and then reboot itself.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Re: LC 2000 won't recognize 512 MB Chips also won't update BIOS

Hi Mike,

If a 512MB stick of RAM is only being recognized as 256, it is probably the wrong type. Is it HP Branded? What is the Part Number? Is it single-sided or double-sided?

If, when you try to flash the BIOS, the system reboots, that usually means you are trying to flash the wrong BIOS onto it. The Netservers have a failsafe that will not allow you to flash the wrong BIOS to the system. Saying you are flashing the latest rev doesn't tell us anything. What version are you flashing to and from? The LC2000 has 2 "latest revs" depending on the model.

Write back with the above info and we will get this sorted out for you. Alternatively, you can call HP Netserver support at 1-800-474-6836 and say "Netserver" at the prompt. HP currently does not charge for phone support of this model. Just give them the serial number and they can figure out what you need for it.

Best of luck,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
Frankl
Occasional Advisor

Re: LC 2000 won't recognize 512 MB Chips also won't update BIOS

Hi Mike,

I can confirm that about non HP memory, my LC 2000 will not boot unless I use the HP branded ( and much more expensive) memory.