ProLiant Servers - Netservers

LED's on Hot Swapable SCSI disks

CA1301681

LED's on Hot Swapable SCSI disks

Hi, I would appreciate any help with the following:

We purchased two hot swapable SCSI disks and configured them as a RAID1 container in an Proliant DL360. We then installed Linux and everything seemed okay. However we noticed that the middle green LED on both disks is always off, the 1st one (arrow) flashes during writes, and the last one stays off snce there are no problems with the disks. The middle light should be on showing that we have a RAID container?

We then placed these disks in another DL360 and the RAID controller recognised the RAID1 container. However, again the middle LED on both disks is always off! We even tried powering off and removing a disk and booting up again, the RAID controller correctly noticed that one of our RAID1 disks was missing.

Has anyone seen this before? Do we have a serious problem here?
2 REPLIES 2
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Re: LED's on Hot Swapable SCSI disks

Remove the SCSI disks. Using a flashlight examine the SCSI backplane taking notice of the LED's on the backplane itself. There should be three LED's to shine into the 'LED pipe' of each SCSI disk. The LED's are quite fragile and often break off. I saw one situation where the LED broke off of the backplane, stuck in the 'LED pipe' on the SCSI drive, and broke yet another SCSI backplane when inserted. I saw another situation where the LED was only soldered on one side and broke off with the slightest touch of the finger.

In many other situations the LED's just fail or never work from the factory. It is a known issue...at least our reps know about it every time I see them.

The easy answer is to flash the drive LED's from the ACU (Array Configuration Utility) or the ORCA (Online ROM Configuration Utility). If all the LED's don't flash, replace the SCSI backplane. Carefully examine the SCSI disks before inserting into the new SCSI backplane.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Re: LED's on Hot Swapable SCSI disks

I should have mentioned above that primarily we are seeing the issue on DL380 G3, DL380 G4, StorageWorks 43x4, and Modular Storage Array 30.