New Discussion юеВ

Re: LH3r D6028A remote control interface

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lewis Butler
Occasional Advisor

LH3r D6028A remote control interface

Hello!

I have recently come into possession of a HP Netserver LH3r that I am setting up for use as a file and web server. I have Mandrake 9.2 installed on a RAID-5 logical volume managed by the Megaraid controller, and all appears to be working well at the moment.

The system has a D6028A "TopTools Remote Control" card that I have configured with a static IP address and I am able to access the browser at that address just fine. However, there is a username and password that are requested on most of the pages it serves up and I don't know how to go about changing that. Anyone have the procedure they can share?

Also, can you tell me whether the remote control should be available when the system power is off (but power cables not disconnected; front panel is lit)? If it is supposed to be available, is it running off of the NiMH battery? If so, how long should that last if the battery is in good condition?

Having this working ins't a must; it's just of interest from a purely geek standpoint. I haven't had this level of hardware before, and I'm interested in learning more about it.

Regards,

- Leo
4 REPLIES 4
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Leo,

the default user/password is ADMIN/ADMIN (uppercase) but in case the previous owner modified it their is a User Database Reset utility you can run which sets all back to default.

The program ttrcrst.exe only runs from within the HP Netserver Navigator cd menu,so it makes no sense if i attach it here, you won't be able to run it from a floppy, you need a Navigator cd really (for security reasons they did it this way).

As long as the power cords are not disconnected the TTRC card stays alive all time, once power is lost then the battery can hold for about 30 minutes or so i seam to remember.

Remember also that as long as the server console is in text mode you can have it redirected remotely via your TTRC, if however you have a graphical GUI then it will not be possible to redirect it anymore.
But the main advantage is that you can remotely see the POST and eventual errors and reason why it does not boot , go into setup, power off, power on etc etc.
You can also configure the card to email or page you for certain events ... depends how geek you are :-)

HTH

Kris

Lewis Butler
Occasional Advisor

Hi Kris,

Thanks for the informative reply. I believe I do have the CD, so I'll use that if the default username/password don't work.

Interesting tidbit about configuring the card to send an email; hopefully one of the events monitored is the health of the RAID array. I've written scripts (well, one) in the past to monitor /proc/mdstat on a Linux system to watch for a drive that's gone out of status in the RAID array, but since the megaraid is controlling that I don't think I have ready access to that info. It'll be great to let the system do it for me. ;-)

Cheers,

- Leo
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Leo,

the server uses a I2C bus for the management of the H/W (fans, power, disk backplane...) and the TTRC card picks up eventual events from that (or out of the hardware log when they get added)
so for most of it , you will receive a notification if you set it up in the Configuration, Event Handling page of the card.

Maybe you can find a daemon for the Netraid (megaraid) on the internet that works on your OS. Their are some monitor services /daemons available for different OS's but not for Mandrake from HP i think.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&pnameOID=51917&taskId=135&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=51915тМй=en&cc=us

The build in Netraid controller does not have a audible alarm, this is only available on the PCI plug in Netraid cards.

regards,
Kris

Igor_50

Same here, only I'm planing to use remote card to manage an ordinary pc.
I was looking trough docs trying to find a way to connect this to a reset button.
Can this be done ?
Thanks