ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753798 Members
7248 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LH3r Symbios SCSI controller 53C985 is unable to find hard disks

Sam Adelaere

LH3r Symbios SCSI controller 53C985 is unable to find hard disks

Hi, when i boot the server, the controller finds no disks.
When i enter the RAID controller menu, i can see the disks and configure them as raid 5 and initialize the raid.
However, if i try to install linux (tried Ubuntu 10.5 and Mandrake 10.2) he finds the NetRaid, Symbios 53c958 but no devices to install onto.

I've entered the SCSI controller menu and set it all on default setup, but still no devices are found at boot or installation.
2 REPLIES 2
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Re: LH3r Symbios SCSI controller 53C985 is unable to find hard disks

Hi Sam,

The LH3 (as well as the LH4, LH3000, LH6000 & LT6000) can have the SCSI-A & SCSI-B ports configured as NetRAID or Symbios SCSI. If your controller is set to NetRAID and your drives are configured in a RAID-5, you will not see them on the Symbios Controller. When you install the O/S, you need to specify the driver for the embedded NetRAID so that the O/S knows how to use the controller to read the disks. Try the driver at this link and let us know how it works:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50448&prodNameId=15389&swEnvOID=180&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ns2049en

Hope this helps,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
Sam Adelaere

Re: LH3r Symbios SCSI controller 53C985 is unable to find hard disks

Hey guys
Well, this is what i tried
I tried a 3rd version of Linux, Fedora and it worked perfectly, it installed and saw the disks immediatly.
The problem is that i really want to use Ubuntu which is a Debian.