ProLiant Servers - Netservers

LH4 will load Win 2003 Server, but gets "disk read error" with Win 2000 Server

CA1111492
Occasional Advisor

LH4 will load Win 2003 Server, but gets "disk read error" with Win 2000 Server

Hello,
I have two different LH4 servers. Each are quad processors with integrated NetRAID. After some initial problems, I was able to get my first one to load Windows 2000 Server. Now I am trying to load my second one (Windows 2000 Server again). After the initial copying of files to the hard drive during the install (where it normally will restart the system and the Windows screen comes up for the first time), I get the message "A disk read error occured Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". If I load the system with Windows 2003 Server, it loads fine and no "disk read error" occurs. So it sounds like I am missing some drivers which are included on the Win 2003 install CD and not on the Win 2K. I have tried to include every RAID driver I have found on HP's support site by pressing F5 during the install to include 3rd party drivers, and nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?????

I have latest bios and firmware (that was my problem on the first one, so that is what I tried right away with this one) and these are all clean installs.
1 REPLY 1
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

Re: LH4 will load Win 2003 Server, but gets "disk read error" with Win 2000 Server

There's a Microsoft TechNet article on this issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216645

I know this article applies to the LH3, but the LH4 is a nearly identical server.

Which revisions of the BIOS & firmware do you have loaded?

Alicia