ProLiant Servers - Netservers

LP1000R Shutting Down

Rod Steffanoni

LP1000R Shutting Down

Have a couple of LP1000Rs running Server 2003. No problems for a couple of years - until now! One of the servers has shut down 3 times in the past week - nothing in the logs. When re-started all looks OK. Any suggestions?
Thks
3 REPLIES 3
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Re: LP1000R Shutting Down

G'day Rod,

Do you have Instant TopTools installed? If not, here's the link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440&prodNameId=28162&swEnvOID=226&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ns-11142-1

Download and extract this file then run Setup.exe from the Install folder.

The utility will allow you to check the hardware event log as well as checking all the hardware sensors in the server. If there are any fan or temperature issues, it will show you exactly where the problem lies.

Other than that, you can disable the Automatic Server Reboot (ASR) function so that if the server stops, it will stay with the error on the screen. Disable ASR by right-clicking on My Computer and choosing Properties. Click on the Advanced tab and then the Startup and Recovery button. Then turn off the checkmark on Automatically Reboot.

Give this a try and let us know how it goes.

Good Luck,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

P.S. Say thanks with points as per forum guidelines.

I am King...of my apartment.
Rod Steffanoni

Thanks - I'll give the TopTools a try. The server isn't re-starting itself, it shuts down completely and needs a manual power-up. Other servers in the rack/s and UPS are OK, so power supply shouldn't be an issue.
Rod Steffanoni

Only thing TopTools reveals is: Front Panel Power Down - The server was powered down by someone using the server's front panel switch.
As the room is locked, this is not being done by "someone". Is it possible the power switch is faulty?