1753797 Members
7131 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Lost Array due to loose Cable?

arash82
Occasional Contributor

Lost Array due to loose Cable?

I have a MicroServer Gen 8 with a p410. I upgraded to P420 by swapping the cards.

I have 2 Arrays, one on port 1 and one on port 2 with 4 drives. Unfortunately, the cable on port 2 was loose, which I realized when the disk was gone from the OS.

I have a critical message in SSA that says all the bays are bad or missing.

Have fixed the cable and reinserted the disc, but they won't come back. Is there a way to save the data, or is it all lost?

Now, 3/4 physical discs are reported as OK, but the array is still failed. What should I do? Maybe I have a faile hard drive as well? Shouldn't I be able to recover the array? Should I click the "Re-enable failed logical drive" button in SSA?

Thanks for all advices.

3 REPLIES 3
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Lost Array due to loose Cable?

Hello,

HPE Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller & Smart Array P222 Controller supported by this server.

Please follow the below documents for more clarification.

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Generation 8 (Gen8) Quickspace

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04123182

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - Spare Parts

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03800702

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - Option Parts

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03793585&docLocale=en_US#N1054B

You can try the below steps as well.

1. Try to connect the hard disk with the original controller.
2. Check the raid configuration.
3. If the raid group comes back., take the complete data backup.
4. I would suggest you, take the data backup first before doing such an activity.

Please let us know for further assistance.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

Please let us know for further assistance.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I hope, I am able to resolve your query.

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

I will be happy to assist you.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Usually this is a bad situation. If multiple drives fail because of a cable problem, it's the same as if someone removed the drives manually.

If you lose more than one disk in a RAID-5 or more than two disks in a RAID-6 then your RAID is permanently broken. You will have to create a new RAID and restore your data from a backup.
The reason is because some drives were still operational while others suddenly "disappeared", the drives get into different states. The failed drives do not change and keep their data as in the moment when they went offline. The drives that are still working get a new timestamp and a new RAID status information. The RAID status on them will update to "failed".

So, if you fix your system, connect the diconnected drives, the controller sees two different sets of disks. Those with an older timestamp and the status "OK" and those with a newer timestamp and status "failed".... there is no way to get them working together again.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"