ProLiant Servers - Netservers

ML110 G4 Backup cause the server to crash

Avi Peltz
Occasional Advisor

ML110 G4 Backup cause the server to crash

Hello,
I have a new ML110 G4 Server, 2 SATA disk with onboard RAID 1, Internal DAT 72 USB Tape.
It runs SBS 2003 STD with the last drivers.

In the last 8 days (since the installation) the server crashed 4 times. I use the SBS internal backup application and it always happend during the backup of the Information Store.
I changed the schedule of the backup and it still occurs during the same event.
There is no dump file.
It is not a tape issue because it happens in a backup to disk as well.

The last events in the event log are:

Information Store (3480) First Storage Group: A full backup is starting.
Information Store (3480) First Storage Group: Beginning the backup of the file D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb (size 199 Mb).
Information Store (3480) Backup data transfer method is shared memory (64kb).

Any idea ??

Thanks,

Avi
20 REPLIES 20
larspolarbear

Re: ML110 G4 Backup cause the server to crash

Hi Avi,
I have the same problem. And I think it is 100% identical. The last event in the event log is the same, I have 2 disks in a RAID config. No crash is reported, the server just stops.

Have you made any progress in getting to the bottom of this?
Jeremy
Avi Peltz
Occasional Advisor

In the meanwhile I escelated the problem to HP.

1. HP replaced the board - but it did not help.
2. I tried using DataProtector Express for SBS, it was OK for about 30 days then it also crashed.
3. I got a hotfix for the VSS of W2K3 server from Microsoft, and so far there is no crash for 3 days. Will it help I let you know.

Anyway - I'm sure it got something with the board SATA raid and the VSS.

Avi.
larspolarbear

Hi Avi,
Thanks for the update. I have stopped the backup and it has not crashed for over 2 weeks. I had my suspicions that perhaps the AntiVirus was causing the problem. I am using AVG.

But I have several other Dell servers with the same software config and no problem.

I also noticed this hotfix from MS http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=915691&SD=tech.
IS this different from "the VSS" hotfix you mention? Can you point me at this one.

Thanks.
Jeremy
Avi Peltz
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I use TrendMicro CSM SMB Antivirus, and I dont think it is connected to the crash.

This is the reply I got from Microsoft/HP:

Following our phone conference and during the research based on the data supplied by you, I summarize here the action plan in order to troubleshoot your issue:

Current Status :
CU has action

Activity Summary :
Since you've already checked and any VSS scheduling didn't collides with DP backup session, we should continue troubleshooting your issue.

Actions on Microsoft :

Actions on Customer :
â ¢ Please apply the following hot fixes:
Q913648 - A new Volume Shadow Copy Service update is now available that fixes various Volume Shadow Copy Service problems in Windows Server 2003 is the newes VSS update and it relaces Q891957:

Q923628 - FIX: The backup application stops responding when you perform a backup that uses a volume snapshot in Windows Server 2003 with SP1:
larspolarbear

Hi Avi,
Has your HP Server been stable since these fixes where applied?
Thx
Jeremy
Avi Peltz
Occasional Advisor

Yes, the server is working smoothly since I installed these updates.

Avi.
LesT64

Hi,

I also have customer with a "HP ML110 G4 with 2 X 160GB SATA" running SBS
2003 R2 and Windows Server 2003 Sp2 which is configured to backup to a USB
2.0 External HDD and their server also intermittently (3 times in 12 backups)
hangs/restarts immediately after the Exchange Backup starts.

The KB articles referred to in this thead state that they only apply to Windows Server 2003 Sp1, and infer that these fixes are in Windows Server 2003 Sp2 so can anyone confirm whether these fixes are still relevant or if the is a solution to this issue occurring on a Windows Server 2003 Sp2 installation?

Les

Avi Peltz
Occasional Advisor

Well,

Things got complicated.

I installed SP2, then the server begun to reboot during the Exchange backup....

It happened 3 times, but since then it works just fine.

Go figure.
Alex Koziaris
Occasional Advisor

I have 3 x ML 110 G4 at customers sites which also crash during the backup of the infomation store, I have found another forum with the same issue http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=716404&page=2