ProLiant Servers - Netservers

ML150 g3 missing memory

Shannon Sippel

ML150 g3 missing memory

I have a ml150g3 with 2x2gb kingston fb dimms. My problem is that periodically my server will lose some of the ram. I will reboot the server and it will only boot up with 2 gig or 3gig being recognised in the bios. At first I thought that I might have a dodgy stick of ram but if I take out one stick of ram - it will show 1gig - If I then boot into bios and load setup defaults it will register as 2 . If I do this for both sticks individually I can then put them both back into dimm 1 and 3 and the server will boot with 4 gig. Does anyone know what could cause this? I have updated the bios to the latest. Could it be because of the Kingston dimms? I am quite happy to buy some HP ram if it will help but obviously don’t want to if it won’t. I have run the diagnostics and everything passes no problems. Also the server works perfectly even when it only has “half” its ram. Any thoughts?
2 REPLIES 2
Ricknsa
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML150 g3 missing memory

Shannon,

I cant tell you for sure if it will help, however, admin to admin I have had the same problem when I use kingston on my DL585s

its a 50/50 gamble, but at least with HP ram you are under warrenty, and it has to work. If it is a production server I would get the HP Ram
Shannon Sippel

Re: ML150 g3 missing memory

Thanks for your reply Rick. I will get some ram and give it a try.