ProLiant Servers - Netservers

ML350 G4 ext health LED, turning RED when AC power applied to 2nd PSU.

D Williams
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G4 ext health LED, turning RED when AC power applied to 2nd PSU.

Hi All

I have a ML350 G4 which has two PSU's and two 3.2GHZ processors.

When I plug AC power into the second PSU, the ext health LED turns red. When I subsequenty power the server on the ext health LED goes off and all LED's turn green (normal). If I shut the server down without removing AC power at the back the ext health LED does not illuminate.

If I then pull both AC power leads out, the ext health LED comes on "red" upon re-inserting the 2nd power lead in to the PSU (this is without powering the server on at the front). As above it goes to normal when powering on the server.

I have seen this on two ML350 G4 systems. The f/w was at the latest revision.

Is this LED status normal? Is there a HP document stating so? The server boots and works perfectly, but for this strange LED display which gives the end user cause for concern.

Thanks and cheers.

Derek
2 REPLIES 2
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: ML350 G4 ext health LED, turning RED when AC power applied to 2nd PSU.

- When I plug AC power into the second PSU, the ext health LED turns red.
+ If Only Second Power Supply Connected? Had you ever see Amber?

- When I subsequently power the server on the ext health LED goes off and all LED's turn green (normal).
- Normal if two power cables connected if one should be amber

-If I shut the server down without removing AC power at the back the ext health LED does not illuminate.
+ Normal

- If I then pull both AC power leads out, the ext health LED comes on "red"
+ If you pull both Power Cables out how did you get Red LED? There is no Power!

- Is this LED status normal?
+ If you never saw Amber at External, you might have Problem with LED Board

- Is there a HP document stating so?
+ From what you describe it more looks as strange behavior or wrong LED assembly, there no white papers on that, but it might direct to advisory

- The server boots and works perfectly, but for this strange LED display, which gives the end user cause for concern.
+ Verify once again if you ever see Amber LED, normally when system UP and Two Power Supply Inserted, but second is not powered with cable, External should be AMBER not RED
D Williams
Occasional Contributor

Re: ML350 G4 ext health LED, turning RED when AC power applied to 2nd PSU.

I do not see amber LED's.

The whole sentence reads "If I then pull both AC power leads out, the ext health LED comes on "red" UPON re-inserting the 2nd power lead in to the PSU (this is without powering the server on at the front).

This server seems to functioning normally other than the "red" external environment LED coming on as described. I have seen this on two of the same type of server.

Cheers

Derek