ProLiant Servers - Netservers

ML350 G5 RAID5 - How do I create a Recovery enviornment partition Server 08?

Gauvin

ML350 G5 RAID5 - How do I create a Recovery enviornment partition Server 08?

I have a ML350 G5 RAID5 with self-installed Server 2008 Standard Edition.

I want to create a Recovery enviornment partition and boot option (like I have on my WinXP PCs). It would need to include the HP drivers I assume.

Server 2008 Backup makes automatic backups every day to a dedicated disk that I would restore from.

Can't find specific instructions on Technet for this or on HP.com either.
5 REPLIES 5
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML350 G5 RAID5 - How do I create a Recovery enviornment partition Server 08?

HI,

There is always a difference between server class OS and Desktop OS.

You can change the partition size of existing installation, and create a backup partition enable the backup tools.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770266.aspx

Continue with periodic backup and incase of disaster, recovery in this fashion.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772519.aspx
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML350 G5 RAID5 - How do I create a Recovery enviornment partition Server 08?

Gauvin,

If you have 2003 then you can acheive it Using Acronis True Image Enterprises server or Terabyte Image for windows.

But still NO one officially claims for Windows 2008 .
Gauvin

If you read the second technet article you recommend, you would see:

"You must have the Windows Server 2008 operating system DVD or have Windows RE installed on a different partition than the critical partitions that are used by the domain controller that you are restoring."

If you re-read my question, you would see I asked for information on exactly how to install the RE to this dedicated partition, presuambly including all necessary HP drivers.

I don't need help creating automated full system backups to a seperate array or on how to create a disk partition.

I want to install windows RE to a different partition. Like winnt32.exe /cmdcons in Win XP. I also want it as a boot option.
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

Gauvin

Thanks. Most helpful.
Even though its not step by step, I get it.