ML370 G2 RAID

CA962133
Occasional Advisor

ML370 G2 RAID

I just picked up an ML320 G2 server with two SCSI 18GB 15K drives in it and wanted to turn them into a mirror. Unfortunately, when the system boots up I don't see any way to configure the two drives into a mirror. Is there supposed to be some kind of SCSI RAID BIOS that I can get into? Do I need to install something? The BIOS is P25 dated 11/15/2002. The board has two SCSI headers labeled RAID A and B on it, but the drives are attached to another header labeled SCSI B. When the system POSTS I see "Compaq Ultra3 BIOS 3.02.01" listed and I can press F8 to get into the "Multi Initiator Configuration", but going in there only lists two Compaq Ultra3 Dual Channel Controllers and allows me to select one. No options for RAID. Where do I set the RAID options? Thanks for any help.
Guru This Bub!
4 REPLIES 4
CA1376350
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML370 G2 RAID

Hi,
this may not be much of a help as Im new to this. I just purchased a ML370 G1. The raid came up when the machine was first booted giving me the access you are asking for using F. So I was wondering if you were sure that a raid device is present?

Antony
CA1376350
Occasional Advisor

ops - that should have read F8.

Antony
Ron Moody
Frequent Advisor

Boot to Smart Start and let the wizard walk you through setting up your server.
It will create the CPQ system partition and load all the tools you need...
CA962133
Occasional Advisor

I got an email from HP Tech Support that was very helpful. Apparently the G2 box that I have did not ship with the RAID option, so no Smart Start or F8 option is available. I need to purchase a RAID adapter and install it. The RAID headers A and B on the board are useless unless the system came with the Smart Array 5i device installed, which mine did not. I just picked up a SA 5312 with 128 cache on Ebay. I've got the two 18GB 15K SCSI drives in it and I'm going to add four more and put them in a RAID 5 Array. They are only 80 bucks each. I also am adding a Gig of RAM for 1256MB total. $250 bucks from crucial. So $600 later I have a server I probably could have picked up on Ebay for $600. At least I know who built it. Thanks for the replies guys.
Guru This Bub!