5518 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 G5 Fan Issue

jeremy_67
Occasional Advisor

ML370 G5 Fan Issue

Hi all,

I've been having an issue with this model only, ML350 G5 work fine. What happens is the fans will eventually run all the time like when the server is first turned on. The only temporary resolution is to shut the server down, unplug the power for 30 sec, and plug back in. This will only work for about an hour or two. All logs in System Management and Insight Diags show no issue. Server has latest BIOS, all firmware up to date, and loaded using the latest Smart Start.

I've worked with 3 of these models and they all have this issue. Has anyone else with this model experienced this?
17 REPLIES 17
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Re: ML370 G5 Fan Issue

Do you have the PSP loaded on the server?

It may be too hot where you are keeping the server. If you have the System management homepage installed, check the temperatures in there.
David Mekalian
Occasional Advisor

I am having the same problem with the ML370 G5 and fans running at full speed, then low speed, then mid speed. It is really upsetting a customer. I have all latest Compaq Support Software pack (PSP) v7.70, latest BIOS update, it is in a open environment with plenty of ventilation. In the older G3 model there was a BIOS option under Advanced to control the fan speed, but it is not in the G5 BIOS.

I am opening an incident with HP today, I'll let you know how we make out. Most of the posts you'll see don't refer to the G5 model. What is interesting is the PSP doesn't install the Advanced System Management driver everyone mentions. If you look at the install log it says:

Setup Session Beginning 4/30/2007 - 11:15:44 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Command Line Parameters Given: /silent

Name: HP ProLiant Advanced System Management Controller Driver
for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003
New Version: 5.37.0.0

Beginning Silent Session...

The software will not be installed on this system because the required hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't apply to this system.

=======================
jeremy_67
Occasional Advisor

Hi David,

Shortly have posting this, I opened a ticket with HP. We have 5 of these model servers in production, only 2 of the 5 are having this issue. The only thing I've noticed different between the ones without the issue is the version of BIOS. The 3 that do not have the issue the BIOS is dated 6-13-06. The two with the issue, one has BIOS rev. 12-26-06, the other has BIOS rev. 4-6-07. I've gotten my case escalated and I'm waiting on some news today. As soon as I hear something back, I'll post here. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the issue.
jeremy_67
Occasional Advisor

I'd also like to mention that HP has replaced the system board in both the servers having the issue in an attempt to resolve the issue to no avail.
David Mekalian
Occasional Advisor

I had someone in my office call HP, they said that the thermal threshold settings in the HP System Management Homepage needed to be set correctly. I'm logged in as admin, the web utility doesn't have anywhere to set a threshold, it only shows you what is set. (ours are 100C on the CPU, current temp is 28c) Unless it's under the ILO which isn't a working link , then I'll have to get back with them. He did mention replacing the motherboard, bad sensors. The system BIOS is 12/2006 version, I might try downgrading. Keep you posted.
jeremy_67
Occasional Advisor

I just checked the iLO and just like the System Management and Insight Diags, there's just the information displayed (status is all Ok, Speed is 29% with no change) and no ability to change the speed. I noticed on the Insight Diags the fan speed is displayed as Normal.
David Mekalian
Occasional Advisor

Sometimes I think the tech support people don't know anything about the products they support. He is insisting that there is a configuration place in the Web homepage where you set the thermal properties on the G5 model. I'm trying to get it escualted to a higher level of support or get someone who actually knows the hardware.
jeremy_67
Occasional Advisor

I hear you. I provided the link to this thread to the tech that I'm working with. Instead of colaberating with your tech, he said it would be interesting to see what the outcome of your case was. I've had two days of "we're looking into the issue and let you know the outcome". Doesn't seem like HP is really looking to resolve this issue.
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

I suggest you escalate it to your HP account manager, or your reseller's HP account manager. If you yell at them someone usually comes on-site.

OR, you could say you've got a dead hard drive and want an engineer to come out. When he comes tell him about the other problem an HE can look at it.