ProLiant Servers - Netservers

ML370 Possible Drive Failure & drive replacement?

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1201429
Occasional Contributor

ML370 Possible Drive Failure & drive replacement?

Upon reboot after my weekly Sunday server shutdown I got the Automatic Data Recovery needed prompt.. I let it do the ADR and it booted normally. I then went to check the event log in NT4 and had entries for
cpqcisse and storage agents from the previous day. In summary here are the entries in chronological order:
Previous Day:
Drive has new status of 3 (failed)
Drive has new status of 5 (recovering)
Drive on SCSI Port 1, Id 2 of Array Controller in Slot 5 has failed failure code: 0x30
After reboot and running ADR:
Drive has new status of 7 (rebuilding)
Post Errors Detected
Logical Drive 1 of 5 changed from Recovering to OK
Drive has new status of 2 (OK)

When I go into the Array Config Utility it shows all drives as OK, however the Online LED for the "drive" is barely illuminated... by this I mean it is not nearly as bright as the other 3 drives in the cage... the Fault LED is not on or flashing and the Activity LED occasionally flashes like the other drives.

My first instinct is that all is fine for now but this drive may be going bad? I had a vendor overnite me a Compaq 36.4 GB Ultra 30 universal hot-plug disk drive; the drives currently in the cage or Compaq 9.1 GB Ultra 3 drives. Can I just swap out the 9.1 with the 36.4 drive. I would expect that I would loose the extra space on the new drive and it would function only as 9.1 GB? Or, would I be better off swapping drives after doing a shutdown?
I haven't done any upgrading of rompaqs etc for a couple of years on this server... and quite frankly am reluctant to do so... every time I have tried to do rompaq, bios etc upgrades with any of my compaq servers I have nothing but problems with them...
Thanks in advance for any advice
2 REPLIES 2
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML370 Possible Drive Failure & drive replacement?

Swap drives: by pulling suspected when system down, add new one in recovery mode.
Once again you unenthusiastic to run any update, you never know how new drive will act for you, with missing updates for server.
You can limit yourself at least with updates for System ROM, SCSI Driver, Firmware for SCSI controller and Firmware for Drive.
If problem stay you might have problems with SCSI backplane.
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17149.html
Ian Reynolds_1

Re: ML370 Possible Drive Failure & drive replacement?

With regard to your question about replacing a 9.1 with a 36.4 drive;
As you suggest the array controller will just use the drive as a 9.1 drive and you will lose any extra capacity that is present.
There should be no problem swapping this while the system is up.