ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1751914 Members
5148 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 wont reboot after tried to move tape to different SCSI help - no email

Mark Simmons
Occasional Contributor

ML370 wont reboot after tried to move tape to different SCSI help - no email

Hello,
I'm in desperate need of help or advice from anyone - don't know where to start.

Our tape drive has been playing up, so it was suggested that it shouldn't be on the same SCSI controller as the hard drives. The ML370 G4 comes with 2 SCSI ports on the MB, so we tried to move the tape drive to one of those.

The server would not boot up - so we returned everything as it was, but it still won't boot :-(

Also I can't seem to work out how to get into the BIOS.

It goes through all the self-tests, and I can access the RILO over the network.

It find the SCSI array controller and lists the disk as there, and if I go into the config utility it shows it as there, and the diagnostic shows Drives OK, including boot sector.

But then it never tries to boot into Windows server 2003 - it just hangs on a black screen - no cursor or anything. (cursor shows in RILO, but accepts no input)

If I put the smartstart CD in the drive it boots from that - but then it looks like it will go through the whole set-up process again.

What can I try? Is there any way to get a boot-up diagnostic CD? If I don't get this sorted the co. won't have any email tomorrow.

Regards,
Mark
2 REPLIES 2
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Re: ML370 wont reboot after tried to move tape to different SCSI help - no email

The F9 key is used to enter the RBSU (ROM Based Setup Utility) or BIOS. The server SHOULD be prompting to press F9 for about two seconds following the detection of CPU's, RAM, SCSI/RAID, and PXE NIC's (if applicable).

It sounds like you can boot into SmartStart. That's good because SmartStart is where the Insight Diagnostics are located.

Before you do anything else, try a simple fix. Power down the server and the tape drive (if it is external). Unplug the tape drive's power cable and data cable. Unplug the server from AC for two minutes. Return power to the server leaving the tape drive disconnected.

Attempt to boot into Windows, and report back.
Mark Simmons
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help - the server actually booted up in the middle of the night without me - and was on in the morning, though the email did not work. I eventually had to do a reboot from windows - which led to the same blank sceen - for at least 10 minutes - becasue it was taking so long I used the RILO remote console facility to try and watch it from my desktop. I got tired of it and cancelled the remote console - then openend it again later using the dual cursor mode - and suddenly everything sprang to life (I think this is just coincidence). Email is running again so I'm too terrified to reboot for the moment. Over the weekend I will follow your advice and see what happens then report back. - thanks again.