1752799 Members
5818 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

ML530 (G1) Setup Help

Patrick McCann
Occasional Contributor

ML530 (G1) Setup Help

Hello, I am trying to set up an older ML530. I had it up and running and then I purchased an SA 5302 Raid controller card. I inserted the SmartStart 5.50 disk and erased everthing to start from scratch. The problem is it doesn't see the SA 5302 card. I get in an endless loop using the SmartStart CD because it says it cant find any logical or physical drives on the primary controller and then says the system erase utility must be run. The system configuration does show a PCI card in slot 8. Should it recognize the card as an SA 5302 during setup or do I need to get other software and install the SA 5302 card first? I have two drive cages with 2 drives in one and 4 in the other with each going to a seperate channel on the SA 5302. The strange thing that I will have to admit is the 5302 controller card was recognized once. I wasnt sure how or why with all the rebooting I was doing so I started over with the erase configuration on the SmartStart CD. I wanted to make sure it was a smooth and clean install. Any help or guidance would be appreciated!
1 REPLY 1
Patrick McCann
Occasional Contributor

Re: ML530 (G1) Setup Help

I was able to resolve the problem. I removed the SA 5302 card from the system. I then re-booted to the SmartStart CD and did the erase. I then shutdown the system and re-installed the card. When I re-booted the card was recognized and I pressed F8 or F9 (I cant remember but it prompted me on the screen) to configure the Smart Array controller. I then changed the boot sequence to be the Smart Array card (which I saw in some other posts searching on the Error 59 I was getting) and rebooted. After this I was able to use the SmartStart CD to set-up the server.