1753792 Members
7504 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML530 G3

Thai Tran_3
Advisor

ML530 G3

I configured this "ML530 G3" server to be my backup server, map all the network drives to this server, and backup all the network drives to this server. The problem I am having is when I logon and run the backup at that moment is ok but if I walk away and come back in an hour. All the network drives will have big red X on them. The drives are accessible but if there is no activity in 15mins, it will have an X on each of the network drives.

I thought this is a network security issue. I checked all the access rights and making sure that I the logon person has the permission to run backup. I even logon as admin and it still did the same thing. Please see the attachment for details.

Here is my server configurations:
(2) 2.4 processors
3 Gig of Ram
firmware are up to date
(12) 18 Gig Hard drives

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thai
6 REPLIES 6
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Re: ML530 G3

What backup server are you using?

You shouldn't need to map the drives. Your backup software should have a remote agent that needs to be installed on each server for the backup to work correctly.

Also, if you are doing backup over the wire, ensure ALL machines & the network core are gigabit otherwise it's quite slow.
Thai Tran_3
Advisor

I am using NT backup for windows 2000 and windows 2003 servers were built in w/ the os.
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

I don't know that windows backup supports remote backup. You may need to use a different software package such as Veritas Backup exec and the remote agents.

Unless with your software you can select the other servers through the windows network using the default shares. I wouldn't be relying on the windows backup software though, i'd be purchasing something such as the above software. It's what I use and works great but there are plenty of other commercial software that will do this much better than windows backup (if it can even do it)
Thai Tran_3
Advisor

Thanks for your help guys. That was what I thought but I was sure. Again, thanks.

PS. With this Veritas backup exec software, can it backup to the server hard drives intead of to the tape drive?
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

You can backup to disk but if you have a large fast tape drive, and unless you have a VERY LARGE amount of data it's not really worth it.

How much data do you have to backup

What sort of tape drive do you have?
Thai Tran_3
Advisor

I have about 20GB of data. I don't use any tape drive. I want to backup all the data to this server ML350 G3.