ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753404 Members
6961 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML570 does not boot from SmartStart or Firmware CD

Andy Allen

ML570 does not boot from SmartStart or Firmware CD

I've got a second-hand ML570 that I'm trying to get to work. (I'll be setting up 5 of them for a computer lab.) I downloaded the SmartStart CD version 7.90.0 and the Firmware Maintenance CD version 7.90.0, and burned them both. They start to boot, showing the pretty picture, then die with a "Kernel Panic" and a message about "tried to kill init."

I downloaded the discs for a G2 ML570. Mine has dual 1.0 GHz / 133 MHz processors - is it a G2? I can not find any drivers for a G1.

Thanks!

Andy Allen
7 REPLIES 7
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: ML570 does not boot from SmartStart or Firmware CD

Hello Andy,

R u saying both the CDs gives you the same error ?? Try the MINIMUM configuration on the server & boot the Firmware CD.

If still no joy, download another copy of these cds.

Regards.
Andy Allen

Yes, I am saying that both discs give me exactly the same error. It looks like HP used a version of Linux on their CDs, and that my system dies at the same place on both of them.

I'll try to figure out what a minimum configuration is. (I'm new to Proliant servers)

Andy
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Andy,

Both the CDs are Scripted using LINUX. Always.
By minimum configuration i meant, one CPU, min RAM-512/1GB; NO PCI cards... or additional storage controllers, no External devices as tape drives .. etc.

Regards.
Fussel
Advisor

I don't know about ML570s, so I might be wrong.
I have several ML370 G1 running (the ones with 1.0 GHz processors) and they DON'T boot the new SmartStart or Firmware CDs.
I have to use SmartStart 5.50 and Firmware 7.30 for them.
There is a reference list somewhere which tells you which version to use on which of the old metal. If you can't find it on the HP website, mail me, I have it somewhere (and I might even find it...).
Fussel
Andy Allen

I'll try some older versions. Also, since I've got 5 of these ML570s, I'll be trying the discs on other systems.

--Andy Allen
Andy Allen

Thanks for the help so far.

I learned to read the link entitled "For a detailed listing of supported servers, please visit SmartStart CD Server Support Matrix" (under every version of the CD) and clicked.

I got to this page: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/cd_supportinfo/ServerSupportMatrix.pdf

I need version 5.50, which I can not find.

Anyone have a download link, or care to trade a burned CD for something I have?

Andy Allen
Andy Allen

Never mind on the D/L link. I found it: http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22678.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I'll let ya'll know if this fixes it.

Andy