ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752800 Members
5271 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Max size of a single HD in Proliant 7000Xeon?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephen Morrow

Max size of a single HD in Proliant 7000Xeon?

Just as the title says.. I am needing to replace internal drives in a Proliant7000 Xeon server. The spec sheet says that the max size for a single drive is 36.4gb.. I realize that the spec sheet was written in 2000 when 36gb was about as big as they got.

I have 12 50GB SCSI3 drives that I'd like to put in this server.. Is there a firmware upgrade that will allow me to use them, Or will the server see them automatically?
Any ideas? thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Stephen:

First, you need to make sure the disks are compatible with the drive trays that you have. Do you have any spare drives or trays laying around? If not, can you shut down the server and pull one out?

As long as the drives have the same SCSI connector on the drive itself, then it should be compatible.

Now, firmware is a different story. Where are these disks from? What brand are they?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Stephen Morrow

These are Seagate Barracuda drives (80pin UW-SCSI-2) ST150176LC. I mistakenly put SCSI3 earlier. The fit the drivetrays.
I am current on all the firmware and drivers for this machine. It is currently running Win2K Advanced Server.
Stephen Morrow

As to what they were in previously, Im not sure. These were in an external tower array (2U I believe) that was unattached and sitting in a closet... Hey at least it was a Compaq array!
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

It is likely that the drives will work, though i can not give you a definite yay or nay.

Since they came from a Compaq Drive Shelf, the firmware should be sufficient to run in a server.

Do you have any available drive bays to test one out?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Stephen Morrow

I guess that is the only thing left to do.. Wish me/it luck!