Occasional Visitor

MicroServer Gen10 Plus - Supported disks

Hi all,

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00073554enw

Maximum Internal Storage

Non-hot plug SATA
16TB (4 x 4TB) 3.5" SATA HDD
960GB (4x 240GB) 2.5” SATA SSD

Notes: The maximum storage indicated is aligned with the current HDD & SSD option list supported. Maximum internal storage supported would change with the server’s option support plan.

What does that mean in practice? What will happen if I attach a Seagate IronWolf 16 TB SATA disk into MicroServer Gen10 Plus?

a) The system refuses to boot due to UEFI/BIOS level error.
b) The disk is not recognized at all but the rest of the system works fine.
c) The disk is seen as a 4 TB disk.
d) The disk is seen normally as a 16 TB disk. You can attach several of them and build RAID on them.
e) something else, describe: ___________________________________

Kind regards,

Harri

6 REPLIES 6
AmRa
HPE Pro

Re: MicroServer Gen10 Plus - Supported disks

Hi

Please refer HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 - Options Parts list for supported hard drives on HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00028528en_us

With reference to Non-HPE Hard Drives on ProLiant Servers, please refer below customer advisory.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=mmr_sf-EN_US000019726

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
kleidav

Hello

We bought a new MicroServer Gen10 without disks, since we still had WD Red disks in our stock.

It seems that the MicroServer can't see the disks at all.
Not even a warning message at POST telling that disks are not genuine HP disks.
Tried with HDDs and SSDs, same problem : disk not visible at all

Is this normal behavior?

I can understand that we loose features if not "genuine HP" HDD (which in fact are Seagate for that model) but that we do not see the disks at all?

haba713
Occasional Visitor

I can understand that we loose features if not "genuine HP" HDD (which in fact are Seagate for that model) but that we do not see the disks at all?

Vendor lock-in is something that all the vendors in the field do. It is disadvantageous for the customer but brings profit to the manufacturer and may also be somehow mandatory due to the predictability of the support effort needed.

Floyd71
Advisor

I am sorry, but you are providing information for ProLiant Microserfer Gen 10 and it was quesion about ProLiant Microserfer Gen 10 Plus

It may lead to confuse people.

Floyd71
Advisor

I would say that I use USB attached NVMa SSD as boot device (Verbatim) and 4 x 6 Tb Seagate Ironwolf HDD. 

Everything works fine - w/o any error during initialization or later. 

jsupala
Occasional Visitor

na system pouzivam 2tb ssd sandisk ultra 3d (dôlezita je spotreba disku 1A 5V) dalsie tri pozicie mam 3x 18tb seagate exos 18x.
vsetko funguje bez problemov