Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
ProLiant Servers - Netservers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MicroServer Gen8 B120i: 2 disk on 6Gbit/s 2 disk on 3 Gbit/s = trouble?

Matty0
Occasional Visitor

MicroServer Gen8 B120i: 2 disk on 6Gbit/s 2 disk on 3 Gbit/s = trouble?

Hello!

i have a microserver gen8 with 4 identical SATA disks: Toshiba, 3TB, SATA3 (6Gbit/s), 64MB buffer

Recently noticed in the SSA that 2 of them work in a 6Gbit/s mode, and the other two for some reason in 3Gbit/s mode. But the system itself (Windows Server 2012 R2) seems to be working fine and there are no errors in the logs, and there are no errors in the SSA logs, the diagnostics do not give anything.

Maybe these mirroring drives work in slow motion specifically? And this is a regular situation?
Who can say anything?

2 REPLIES
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: MicroServer Gen8 B120i: 2 disk on 6Gbit/s 2 disk on 3 Gbit/s = trouble?

If you read through the specs on the system

Storage Controller

HPE Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller
NOTE: HDD bays 1 and 2 support 6.0Gb/s SATA. HDD bays 3 and 4 support 3.0Gb/s SATA

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
AronW
Frequent Visitor

Re: MicroServer Gen8 B120i: 2 disk on 6Gbit/s 2 disk on 3 Gbit/s = trouble?

Jimmy Vance wrote:

If you read through the specs on the system

Storage Controller

HPE Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller
NOTE: HDD bays 1 and 2 support 6.0Gb/s SATA. HDD bays 3 and 4 support 3.0Gb/s SATA

However what the specs don't say, at least based on my experience, is that this is true only when the B120i is set in RAID mode. If the HPE Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller is set in SATA AHCI mode the bays1 and 2 (6.0Gb/s) start to show some strange behaviors and have some more limits on type of hard disks that you can use. What and why?

If you have read there are some people, me included, that can't use the hard disks on bay1 or 2 when the controller is set on AHCI.