108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
PAC_
Frequent Advisor

MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

HP documentation and PR state that the MicroServer Gen8 emits only 21dBa, yet I am reading 50dBa (front) to 55dBa (back) at idle.

I have tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults as well as adjusting the HP power profile to no avail.

This is too noisy for a quiet home or office environment, should we expect lower noise levels as per the official specifications ?

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) to ProLiant Servers - Netservers.
-HP Forum Moderator

350 REPLIES 350
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I have 4 of these sitting in my cube right now and one at the house. They are very quiet even with 4 disks in them.  What does iLO show as far as fan speed and sensor temperatures?

UPDATE: I guess my cubicle environment isn't quiet enough to really notice the fan noise. After further investigation, I have now seen (and heard) the fan speed difference between B120i and SATA AHCI modes. I've reported this back to the MicroServer hardware team.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
ibhpgb
Occasional Advisor

It may depend on which disk controller one is using. 

http://b3n.org/installed-xeon-e3-1230v2-in-gen8-hp-microserver/

ACHI reported as noisy.

I would buy one, but don't want noise.

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

Yes I had read reports about the fan speed going up with the Smart Array disabled but I have tried enabling and disabling AHCI controller mode to no avail.

Let me get back to you with fan speed and temperature once I get back home.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I'm run them both in RAID mode and AHCI mode with no difference in fan noise level. The link provided is for people putting in faster CPU's, I'd expect the fan to spin up a bit with a faster CPU in the case.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
ibhpgb
Occasional Advisor

Actually, I think Stefan did not change his cpu, and was the one that noticed fan speed changed (for him) with different controllers. 

Maybe HP needs some firmware updates?

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

There is a new firmware dating from August 14th available but the release notes do not contain information about this specific issue.

I will be updating over the week-end and report back.

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

The fan spins at a constant 39%, all temperatures are nominal.

I have read one other report stating that the fan will go up when disabling the Smart Array B120i. It should apparently run at 6% under normal conditions ?

ibhpgb
Occasional Advisor

That is a similar fan speed others have reported.

HP  ,

Update your firmware! 

I wonder if a rheostat fan control would work to quiet down the fan noise.

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

The issue still applies to firmware 2013.08.24.

Apparently the B120i Smart Array would need to be configured for the fan control to kick in properly. I will test it out tonight.