New Discussion

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
0tto
Occasional Visitor

Hi PAC_

did you do any any progress with your HP support case? I am struggling with this issue myself too, I was hoping to have perfect low-power, low-noise box in my study room but this is more like sitting in airport duty-free zone.

I was thinking about replacing the stock fan with something modders use in theirs cool PCs but I cannot find what the pin-out of the microserver motherboard is so I cannot be sure about wiring. I hate being stucked with problem like this.

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

The last update to the case was on September 17th. Kudos to Jimmy Vance for helping me get the support case into the hands of the engineering team so quickly.

It will probably take a bit of time until we hear back from support since it requires firmware development and debugging.

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

Latest update from September 23rd:

BIOS development on the loop

Marcus Rejås
Advisor

Great, I'm also having one of these machines, and it is very noisy. How long does it usually take to release a fix? Days, weeks, months?

Great thread by the way. Pinpointed my problem directly.
Marcus Rejås
Advisor

This is very annoying. I have my server in my office and it is very loud. Fan speed constantly around 36%.

Since the problem seems to be Debian specific (I use Debian too). Does anyone know a workaround a little easier than replacing the os?

/Marcus

linuxartist
Visitor

This is not an OS related Issue as far as I read it.

This is more an AHCI/BIOS/UEFI Implementation issue.

Meaning: disable AHCI and use the onboard Raid.

Are there any updates on the ETA of the new BIOS?

Cheers!

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

No updates as of today, october 9th.

linuxartist is right, the issue lies within the MicroServer's BIOS.

Astadia

So disappointed by the noise it produced... I received mine today and I want to send it back... The noise level is really unacceptable for a home use...
ad-d
Advisor

I know, it's almost painfully noisy. I spent a long time quietening down all my home equipment only to have this server ruin all the hard work. How they can expect small businesses that probably don't even have a server room to use this in the office is beyond me, no-one would get any work done with this as a distraction. I have high hopes for this new BIOS and would really prefer to see some sort of manual fan speed control introduced as well (with an auto-override and fan speed warning if someone were to set it to low perhaps). A sea of sensors and constant temp monitoring/automatic control is nice but not when it's impossible to reduce the noise to a sensible level. It only has a 35w TDP chip in it, there's simply no need for that that much airflow!
Marcus Rejås
Advisor

There are many of us waiting. I look at the support site every day ...