5878 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rici11

I have opened a ticket as well regarding the same issue, both in AHCI mode and in Legacy SATA.

Goma78

Same problem here.

Microserver without SmartArray too noisy :(

Waiting a solution from HP.

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all for documenting their experiences with this issue.  I bought a G1610T Gen8 Microserver with the express purpose of reducing noise in my office and was very disappointed with the results.  Now that I know there's a bug I can be a little more patient.

I moved a Debian Wheezy (7.2) setup with software RAID 1 into my G1610T, so I naturally chose AHCI when I installed - other iLO settings are at the defaults.  Is there a way to choose the built-in RAID controller but still have Linux see them as individual drives, and without overwriting any data on the drives?  i.e. Can you set up the RAID controller as JBOD?  That might be a suitable workaround for me.

I eventually found how to submit a support case (when are HP going to work out that their web site needs major work?) and opened a new case as Jimmy suggested.  Here's hoping for some progress in the near future!

Regards,
Paul
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Hi all,

HP just got back to me about the support case I logged, and the tech tried to convince me that the issue was the third-party hard disks I have installed (which don't have compatible temperature sensors).  Has anyone

1. been told the same thing, or
  2. seen any evidence that putting HP branded hard disks in the system has an effect on the situation?
Regards,
Paul
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Paul, currently the "hpvsa" driver required for the B120i/B320i Dynamic RAID controller is not available for Debian/Ubuntu.

To answer you other questions, it is possible to create 4 individual RAID arrays each with a single logical disk volume to simulate JBOD.

Creating a RAID array will destroy the existing data on the disk(s)

As for the answer you received from 1st level support, you can always ask to speak to a supervisor and/or ask for your case to be escalated to 2nd level support.  For this particular issue you can ask the support person to contact me internally.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Jimmy.

I've been reading some more links: Document ID c03742583 makes it clear that the B120i is a fake RAID, and Document ID c03871499 makes it clear that only Red Hat and SUSE are supported targets for its driver.  If they don't offer a firmware update to fix the issue in AHCI mode soon, I think I'll return my Microserver and ask for my money back.  This sort of situation proves that they're not serious about Linux support.

Any word on the firmware update?

Moderator Note: [Updated with new links]

Regards,
Paul
subsix
Frequent Advisor

@Paul, I had very similar discussions here in Germany with the HP support. I was told that HP would require 100% genuine parts to be able to process the support case. In my case HP agreed to supply a genuine HP disk for testing on my Gen8 Microserver. Using that did not change the behavior at all. Furthermore, I have WD Red drives installed at this very moment and iLO has no issues reading the temperature sensors. These seem to work equally well.

In RAID mode I get 6-9% fan speed (in the iLO web console) with 2 WD Red disks and 29-32% fan speed in AHCI mode.

To add to that: I've tried HGST 2.5" Enterprise SATA drives initially (lower noise and power consumption). iLO was unable to get temperature information from these drives...

Peter

subsix
Frequent Advisor

@Jimmy, would that 4x RAID0 setup really help? How would the OS (Debian in Paul's case, SmartOS in mine) be able to "see" the drives at all with the B120i in RAID mode - without a driver?

What worked for me, though, is to setup ESXi (I tried 5.1) on the Microserver and run a Debian VM...

BTW: Did an HP support person from Europe contact you referring to my support case?

Peter

subsix
Frequent Advisor

FYI: iLO4 has been updated to 1.32. It fixes security issues but does not change the AHCI mode noise behavior.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#q=ilo&t=All&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25

From what I recall the Readme document didn't list the Microserver explicitly. However, I haven't found any issue with installing and using that version on my Gen8.

Moderator Note: [Updated with new links]

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

subsix wrote:

@Jimmy, would that 4x RAID0 setup really help? How would the OS (Debian in Paul's case, SmartOS in mine) be able to "see" the drives at all with the B120i in RAID mode - without a driver?

What worked for me, though, is to setup ESXi (I tried 5.1) on the Microserver and run a Debian VM...

BTW: Did an HP support person from Europe contact you referring to my support case?

Peter

with 4X RAID0 configu you would need the hpvsa driver so it wouldn't help Paul or yourself. 

Other than PAC_'s case, I've had no recent interaction with support

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!