108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
TeoCiontu
Occasional Advisor

I'm using b120i in raid 0 for each HDD (now only one 2TB WDred) just because of the noise issue in AHCI. Is it possible to use b120i in raid 0 and making the raid array in the OS ? I heard that for some raid solution you Must use the controller in AHCI, is that true ? Teo
PAC_
Frequent Advisor

AHCI is required for software-defined storage solutions like ZFS. Keep in mind that the B120i controller is not active until an array has been configured.

This would mean having a single drive RAID0 array defined on the B120i controller but this triggers other problems with Intel VT-d and VMware ESXi.

TeoCiontu
Occasional Advisor

So practically if you are not configuring an array, b210i works as a simple controller...
But if I'm not usint VT-d or VMware ESXi I hope it is safe to use it, corect me if Im wrong.
The only reason why I'm usinng it is for the noise in AHCI mode.
PAC_
Frequent Advisor

The B120i is safe to use, VT-d is only useful when installing an Intel Xeon E3 V2 CPU for virtualization. This tweak is not covered under HP systems qualification and warranty.

The only two solutions at the moment seem to be:

- Configuring a disk array on the B120i

- Installing an H220 controller and configuring a disk array (higher power consumption)

The official response from support has been to acquire and install genuine HP hard drives but fan speed goes down when configuring a disk array with 3rd party disks.

As per my initial post and support case, my hard disks are 4x Seagate NAS ST3000VN000.

ibhpgb
Occasional Advisor

The official response from support has been to acquire and install genuine HP hard drives but fan speed goes down when configuring a disk array with 3rd party disks.

Is that the end of this thread? No fix? (except use only hp drives.)

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

@ibhpgb wrote:

This is the answer that people are starting to receive from telephone support agents.

Jimmy Vance is still helping me push the case through to engineering. There hasn't been any activity for the last two weeks, I will ask for an update this week.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@ibhpgb wrote:

As stated elsewhere in this thread, it doesn't matter if the disks are HP or not.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
jazz1138
Occasional Visitor

I ended up just closing the ticket as it could not progress any further since I am not using genuine HP drives or a supported operating system. However the support persion said they were aware of this forum article when I mentioned it and will check the with engineering on the current status.

PAC_
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Case closed, the official solution is to configure the B120i in RAID mode. That would mean configuring at least one disk as a RAID-0 array:

Comment added: 12/4/2013 10:15:14 PM
Product working as designed.

Comment added: 12/4/2013 10:14:57 PM
Problem Description: Microserver Gen8 fan noise
Solution: Use controller in RAID mode
Additional comments: If using AHCI or Legacy controller mode, fan noise will occur. There is no possibility in lowering the fan speeds in this modes to a lower value. It is going to be BIOS/iLO safe ranges.

Comment added: 12/4/2013 2:46:34 PM
A customer advisory will be released in the next weeks.
Product working as designed.
Closing subcase.

Comment added: 12/4/2013 11:41:55 AM
Resolution from L3:

This works as designed. While B120i/B320i is in use, HPтАЩs driver provides storage thermal info to iLO and it controls the fan speed precisely. However if B120i/B320i is disabled, driver from Operation System or chipset manufacturer is used and these drivers do not update iLO with thermal information. Therefore, iLO will use the backup thermal solution to set the fan speed at a safe speed which results higher fan speed and noise level.

PAC_
Frequent Advisor

I can confirm iLO4 is not receiving 04-HD Max thermal sensor information when configured in AHCI mode.