108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Firmware upgrade frustrations

All the ones I was seeing out of the factory during that time frame had 8/23/2014

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Erathiel
Frequent Advisor

Any updates on the case?

I've been hit by this problem as well, only on a different model from the Gen8 family: Proliant DL320e Gen8 v2. I have upgraded every piece of firmware I was able to find and then resorted to a workaround found somewhere in this thread to create two single-drive RAID-0 arrays and then establish software RAID from within Debian.  I get fans spinning at around 33%, which is perhaps not deafening but really unnerving for people who sit close to the server for several hours straight.

Another unit of the same hardware runs Windows Server 2012 R2 (with the relevant driver, obviously) and the fans spin at around 6% consistently.

Any news or hopes for improvement on the horizon?

ZakSmith
Advisor

With the latest flashes and not using any RAID modes on the controller, I get the MicroServer Gen8 to about 21%.

I have two identically configured DL320e V2's (latest ilo & firmware/bios) running linux with the b120i similarly deconfigured and the fans run at 29-31% all the time, under no load (machine drawing under half an amp).  In comparison to other rack servers or a machine room this is pretty quiet but obviously not close to as low as it could go because the machine is producing no heat.

Both machines could definitely be running quieter.

I said this before but the z620's we have around the office are whisper quiet even when running with a decent load.  The z620 sitting just 12" behind my monitor has 5 big drives in it, the CPU runs at 50-60 C most of the time, and it's got several virtual machines running.  I can't hear it.  In fact you can't hear it at all unless you put your ear right up within 6" of the box.

For all the smarts HP is putting into these boxes it seems like they could do better with sound signature management.

silencio

The new BIOS is no longer available for download from the ftp site Oscar posted, though it can be found elsewhere by searching for the file name (CP021718.scexe for Linux).

It does bring a noticable improvement over the latest officially released BIOS. Currently the fan is running at 23% for a measured ambient temperature of 23C. But at that level, it is still far noisier than the B120i RAID mode and disturbing me in an otherwise quiet office environment.

So may I inquire what HP's plans are to resolve this issue?

Are there plans to address this more thoroughly than just slightly lowering the hardcoded fan minimum speed as the new BIOS version did? In which time frame?

I was about to return the system before I found this thread.

I will open a new case with HP support about this, as the noise ruins what is an awesome and well-engineered system in almost any other respect.

Erathiel
Frequent Advisor

I've just talked to HP support about the noise issue on my DL320e Gen8 v2 (roughly a rack equivalent of MicroServer). The answer was painfully predictable:

- fan noise with Smart Array controller disabled (in AHCI/Legacy SATA mode) is perfectly normal and the server works as designed;

- without the proprietary driver the mainboard does not receive proper information about temperature and therefore runs fans faster "to be on the safe side";

- HP only recommends using supported operating systems;

- HP support has nothing to add and considers the case closed.

Which boils down to: "You can pay for the product but we have taken measures to make sure you will only be able to use it the way we want you to use it. Now go away."

I guess this means HP is not really serious about this product. They release a platform aiming at the Small-Medium Business market segment but only support enterprise operating systems on it. Logic, huh?

karma4u101
Advisor

This is in no way acceptable!!!

I bouth this server and 2st 1TB HP disks on the sole premisses I would be able to run this maskin in the same environment and with the same OS as I am running my older microserver (ubuntu) with the same low noice level.

For me and I think I speek lot of other costumers of the HP Microserver the low noice level was one of the most important parameters for purchase this product.

I do not think this is a unresonable request that HP brings down the noice level to this product lines standard level which on low to medium load is as low as 6%.

The server now sits unused in a corner just waiting for good news from the HP team. As things stand now feel totaly runned ower  as HP dont seem to care ONE single bit about this issue :(    

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Erathiel,

Did you try the latest 2013.11.08 ROM for the DL320e Gen8 v2?  The FAN speed was reduced on this ROM.

what is "noisy" for a DL rack mount server? place it next to a 3par v- class! you won't hear it anymore. you won't hear yourself anymore. different measures for racks ... :-(

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Erathiel
Frequent Advisor

@Oscar A. Perez

Yes, I have that particular version of ROM installed, see iLO output:
HP ProLiant System ROM                  11/08/2013

System fans go at 33-37%

@Torsten.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

agreed :-)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!