108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Erathiel
Frequent Advisor

Oscar, that is good news or at least some progress it seems. I hope this works just as you say. Is any release date set, or an estimate at least?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Any news for the ML310e v2?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
subsix
Frequent Advisor

Oscar,

That's great news!!

I have one of my Gen8 Microserver running SmartOS (very similar to Solaris) with the B120i in AHCI mode and fans at 21%. This setup is too loud for office use - not only for my taste. Certainly much louder than the claimed 21dbA from the QuickSpecs. Another Microserver Gen8 has the AHCI controller completely switched off and  a H220 HBA controller installed instead - with fans at just 11%. That machine has an acceptable noise level for office installation (although there's stil room for improvement as Windows with the B120i drivers gets the fans down to just 6%). Both machines are permanently on and run fine at moderate server loads (multiple "server" VMs) with 3 disks each.

Looking forward to seeing that Beta ROM released as I hope that it would further improve the situation with the AHCI mode moise level. I would also appreciate to get rid of the H220 for lower power consumption...

Best,

Peter

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Good news indeed! Please keep us updated. :-)
Regards,
Paul
ad-d
Advisor

I'm very very interested in seeing this new J06 ROM released, I think that sort of fan speed reduction would make this a properly usable machine rather than one you have to keep switched off all the time.  I don't imagine it will make it anywhere near silent but I appreciate this is a server and it never will be (the design of the server itself means getting anywhere near quiet is a challenge - tiny aluminium CPU heatsink that's positioned nowhere near the fan, 4 HDD slots quite close together with obstructed airflow, using an 'industrial' type fan that's always going to be noisier than better designed fans at the same sort of RPM etc etc).

Other testing elsewhere has proven the gen8 microserver with a 35w CPU stays properly cooled even after many hours of prime95 stress testing with a 40% fan speed reduction, I don't blame HP for building in more 'margin for error' and if the approx 23-30% speed reduction you mention is an accurate figure I think this could be a very good compromise between HP wanting to play safe and users wanting the fans running at more sensible speeds.

Please pass on my thanks to anyone in HP who has been pushing to get these new J06 ROMs created with the reduced fan speeds, it was plainly obvious the fans were running far faster than they needed to on the early ROM releases but it's pleasing to see HP have listened to the customers/internal teams and tried to fix this - I honestly thought their original statement of 'tough, we don't plan to fix it' was as good as we'd get.

Really hope this new J06 ROM beta you're testing gets approved and released ASAP, please keep us informed of progress.

Telmah
Occasional Advisor

I can hear difference betwen 20% and 8% in RAID mode :(

ad-d
Advisor

Any updates on this new BIOS?  I'm eagerly waiting for this to be released.  Any improvement to the fan noise in AHCI mode would be greatly appreciated and if it really does drop the fan speed by 23%+ as you indicated this is going to be a huge improvement and should finally make it the product everyone knew it could be.

Zuru_

Hi! HP support/develop team,

please, provide us more than one of the following solutions:

1. New Dynamic HP Smart Array B120i firmware that reports HD temperature in SATA mode as the same way that the firmware does in RAID mode, in order to report this info to ILO

2. New ILO firmware where the user can choose the fan's RPMs. In AHCI RAID the fan runs at 6%, but in SATA mode the fan runs at almost 40% with the latest firmware and the same environment conditions.

3. Release open source drivers for HP VSA so that we could use any actual Linux distributions or any open source OS without an additional payment of licenses (RHEL, SLES or Windows require additional costs and the drivers can be obsoleted in a short of time)

I think that HP Microserver  Gen8 is a great product, but I also think that is unfinished in terms of software and drivers.

Thanks a lot for all the answers in this thread.

WhatDoWeWant
Occasional Visitor

Coming SOON: Ubuntu Server for HP Microserver Gen8........ Where the fan runs as any reasonable person would expect.....
Come on guys - what's with the holdup??? Paid the bucks, but still waiting for the support
karma4u101
Advisor

@WhatDoWeWant  can you pleas provide a link to that news !  "Coming SOON: Ubuntu Server for HP Microserver Gen8" sounds like great news to me,

Servers still sitting turned of here and has been on hold (shutdown) for 7 months now so I am really interested in geting it up and runing silently on ubuntu.

Or ar you just ironic ;)