108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
der_burner
Advisor

Oh, sorry. I mean this Version (06/06/2014)

I don't know what's wrong?

tedaz99999
Occasional Advisor

After tested, with J06 06/06/2014, the iLO 1.51 still set the fan to 50%, but the cracked iLO 1.32 only set the fan to 29%.

PS: ambient 34C.

Anyboday could post a snapshot of the the fan speed with iLO 1.51 in SATA mode?

ad-d
Advisor

If the ambient is 34 degrees there's no wonder fan speed is high!  Fan speed is 13% when the ambient is 23 degrees, at 24 degrees I get 14% and at 25 degrees I get 15% - certainly seems to be 1% faster per degree at those sorts of temperatures but at the high ambient you are talking about it could easily be set to ramp up the speed by more than 1% per degree (very likely in fact).  Even if you assume it will stick to 1% per degree that would give a minimum of 24% fan speed at that temperature.

My fan speeds were from a quick initial test with no HDDs fitted either, if you have hot 7200rpm or faster drives fitted you'll certainly be running even faster fan speeds to try and cool everything to acceptable temperatures.

I'd take a look at where you run the server (in an enclosed cupboard?) and what HDDs/add on cards etc etc you're using to work out why the server wants to run the fan so fast, once you've fixed the problem I expect fan speed will reduce.  Have you upgraded the CPU to something with a TDP far too high for the server?

Using the 'cracked ilo' and completely voiding your warranty is your choice I guess but please don't go talking about it on HP's own forum, it gives a really bad impression that everyone is abusing their servers with software that artifically reduces fan speed to levels the server does not want them to run at, increases the chance that something will get damaged from heat - BUT more importantly it reduces the likelihood that HP will consider releasing more updates that tweak the fan speed curves to make it quieter if they think they're likely to end up with loads of dead machines sent back under warranty from people who've inappropriately used too low a fan speed.  Yes HP do consider things like this and I don't want any further improvements to be cancelled for these reasons.  There are plenty of other forums to discuss unsupported modifications on.

tedaz99999
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your detailed explanation. However, the key point is: the iLO 1.51 official version still set the fan works at unnecessary speed, the cracked 1.32 manipulate the fan at a resonable speed.

What is the deifination of "unnecessary" and "resonable"?

Same harddisks, same ambiant temperature, in RAID mode, the iLO  1.51 sets the fan speed 8%, BUT 50% in SATA
 mode, this cannot be explained by "ambiant 34C".

This means the new J06(6/6/2014) + iLO 1.51 hadn't resolved the fan speed issue.

der_burner
Advisor

Hello Together,

my ambient is on 24C, and the Fan on 30% with J06 06/06/2014 and iLO1.51

What for a energy profile you use?

I'm use "HP Dynamic Power Savings Mode"

ZakSmith
Advisor

So I wonder what's different.  Some of us are getting 12-15% with the new BIOS, and some people have worse fan speeds than some of us had originally.

I am running mine with OS power control and SATA mode.

der_burner
Advisor

And which values do you have? With Ubuntu 14.04? Or what OS?

subsix
Frequent Advisor

We have a fairly hot day today where the inlet ambient temperature on the Microserver is at 29 degree C. Yet, the fan speed is still at 11%... Configuation as below:

- 06/06/2014 System ROM 

- iLO 1.50

- B120i switched off

- Two WD Red SATA disks and one genuine HP disk connected to a HP H220 HBA

- 16 GB RAM

- SmartOS with multiple server VMs

From what I recall all BIOS settings are at their defaults with the exception of the B120i mode/state.

We have another Microserver running without the H220 HBA and the B120i in AHCI mode and Hitachi disks instead of the WDs. In the same environment the fan speed on that machine is at 14%.

Not too bad as I clearly remember where we came from...

Did you try to perform a BIOS factory reset? What disks setup do you use?

Peter

Zuru_

I'm starting to think that the problem is in the latest verstion of iLO firmware 1.51 . Has someone ever tried to downgrade iLO firmware?

der_burner
Advisor

Yes, is all on factory Defaults, without SATA-Mode.

Do you have changed the Power Profile? Which value do you have there?