Hello Guys,

So do I ,

iLO is 2.30 Aug 19 2015

ROM is J06 07/16/2015

B120i to Raid Controller mode 

HGST hdd on odd bay 5 to be raid-0

ESXi 5.5 U3

the fan speed is 70%

even more into HP insight Diagnostics , it's still 70% fan speed ........

have any idea ?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

@PopoBear wrote:

Hello Guys,

So do I ,

iLO is 2.30 Aug 19 2015

ROM is J06 07/16/2015

B120i to Raid Controller mode 

HGST hdd on odd bay 5 to be raid-0

ESXi 5.5 U3

the fan speed is 70%

even more into HP insight Diagnostics , it's still 70% fan speed ........

have any idea ?

What is the thermal configuration set to in RBSU?  What happens to the fan speed when the 5th hard drive isn't connected?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
abpostelnicu

Hello,

I have a question, i've managed to update my gen8 to the latest ilo and bios, ilo 2.44 and bios - 11/02/2015. I have installed an Intel XEON E3-1240v2 CPU.

After updating the bios and ilo the idle tem increased from abou 36degrees to almost 40degrees and it seems that the fan is spinning at only 11%. Can i change the thermal profile in order to keep it more cool?

THX

oe2ThohNgei5
Occasional Visitor

It seems that I'm not able to download the current firmware anymore as the warranty ran out.

I never heard of a company doing something like this. Is it possible to get the current 11/02/2015 version from somwhere else?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Windows -

cp031064.exe

Try this

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
oe2ThohNgei5
Occasional Visitor

thank you!

Ignatious
Regular Visitor

Hi All.

I spent 3 days trying to work out this high fan noise issues.  The solution provided below is nonsense.  

I had my bios and firmware updated to the latest levels using the SPP Oct 2016.   Installed Windows 2012 Standard server and the fan noise was unbearable.  I then followed what is suggested below as a solution which is to "Case closed, the official solution is to configure the B120i in RAID mode. That would mean configuring at least one disk as a RAID-0 array"

I created two raid 0 volumes as I wanted to use the Sata Port 5 for the OS and 1-4 as Data Volume.  The result was 70% fan RPM when Windows fully loaded.

I have since then tried Legacy SATA mode which gives me two seperate SATA controllers affectively as I wanted to keep the OS on the ODD port.  Windows 2012 fully loaded and running heavy CPU apps as well and the FAN speed is at surprising level of 11% which I can hardly hear.  IF anything I can hear the hard drives spinning and no FAN noise at all.

So if you can live without using the B120i controller then dont use it use the Sata Legacy mode and have a quite server which can sit in the living room now.  :)

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Glad you got it working the way you wanted.  I don't really mess much with Windows on any of the servers, but I'm suprised you have low fan speed and can boot from the ODD port with the B120i disabled.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Ignatious
Regular Visitor

Check this out. I went for the cheap option. No SSD.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/le1vh6eplv92t9i/20170215_200012.jpg?dl=0

[Admin: the above dropbox links no longer exists]

Ignatious
Regular Visitor

The front view. https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqhygzkmrlsl02a/20170215_200027.jpg?dl=0

[Admin: the above dropbox links no longer exists]