Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
DannyBiker
Occasional Visitor

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

Thank you Jimmy, the 06.06.2014 system ROM did reduce the average fan speed to 19%, from 33%. 

I guess I have to check the hpvsa driver for Debian/Proxmox.

subsix
Frequent Advisor

Danny, as Jimmy explained already:

"B120i RAID reqiures a driver that doesn't ship with any Linux distribution. The driver is available for several Red Hat and SUSE Enterprise Linux versions. The 'hpvsa' driver provides the RAID stack for the controller, without the driver the controller is operating as an AHCI SATA controller."

In addition to the above there's an "unofficial" Ubuntu driver available at: <https://launchpad.net/~hp-iss-team/+archive/ubuntu/hp-storage>

But I am not aware of any Debian hpvsa driver. With that OS you might have to live with the B120i in AHCI mode...

Honestly speaking, this is what I do today... and with the latest ROM and iLO firmware the noise isn't that bad anymore (IMHO)...

Best regards,

Peter

D1Vad
Occasional Visitor

Thanks to everyone posting in these forums!! I am using my Gen8 as a HTPC and constant 50% fan speed was killing me. I thought it might have been the added PCIe card (Asus 5450 passive) but lucky it wasn’t. It was the very old 160GB 2.5” hdd in the ODD slot. I think HD-Max sensor was reporting 50C as it couldn’t read temp from the drive, now HD-Max = 35C

6-14% fan speed depending on ambient

- Bay5 ODD - 120gb Samsung EVO 840

- Bay1 – 3TB WD Red

- B120i RAID mode

- Win10 Pro

- Asus 5450 Passvie

- G1610T, 4GB Ram

- Bios – 2014.06.06

- iLO4 Firmware- 2.22

scorpio2k222
Occasional Visitor

Just updated my server:

Now I have:

17-19% fan speed depending on ambient

- LSI Megaraid sas9220-8i with

-4 HDD x 3TB in front

-2 HDD x 1TB

-1 HDD 300GB SAS 10Krpm for OS

- Centos 6

- G1610T

- *GB Ram

- Bios – 2014.06.06

- iLO4 Firmware- 2.22

MrR0bot
Occasional Visitor

Hi All,

After many nights of reading and going through this topic and on other sites as well I have finally fixed the high fan speed issue, here is how I did it.

Issue: Running 3 HDD (1 x raid0 & 2 x raid1) via onboard raid controller, as soon as the OS is booted up fan is on 70%

I had tried pretty much all the ROM's and ILO firmware and none seemed to work. I could get the fan sitting down to 7% with only 1 SSD drive in bay 1. Eventually after many tests and researching I found out it was the HDD's that I was using causing the fans to go so high. Being in IT I have access to many different model HDD's so I play around with different models and i found out after researching the WD Blue drives I was using don’t have proper temp sensors in them! I found this out on a Mac forum that users were complaining their fans on the iMac were going full blast due to the board not being able to detect the actual temp, of course this was the case on the gen8 as well!! Wacked in 2 new Seagate drives which and configured raid1 and what do you know, dead silence!!!!! Running at 8% fan level now....

So please try other hard drive brands that have actual temp sensors in them, I wasn’t able to find the approved list of HDD for the gen8 either so I had to play around and guess.

Happy to answer any questions to help anyone else having issues.

PopoBear
Occasional Visitor

Hello Guys,

So do I ,

iLO is 2.30 Aug 19 2015

ROM is J06 07/16/2015

B120i to Raid Controller mode 

HGST hdd on odd bay 5 to be raid-0

ESXi 5.5 U3

the fan speed is 70%

even more into HP insight Diagnostics , it's still 70% fan speed ........

have any idea ?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

PopoBear wrote:

Hello Guys,

So do I ,

iLO is 2.30 Aug 19 2015

ROM is J06 07/16/2015

B120i to Raid Controller mode 

HGST hdd on odd bay 5 to be raid-0

ESXi 5.5 U3

the fan speed is 70%

even more into HP insight Diagnostics , it's still 70% fan speed ........

have any idea ?

What is the thermal configuration set to in RBSU?  What happens to the fan speed when the 5th hard drive isn't connected?

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
abpostelnicu
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I have a question, i've managed to update my gen8 to the latest ilo and bios, ilo 2.44 and bios - 11/02/2015. I have installed an Intel XEON E3-1240v2 CPU.

After updating the bios and ilo the idle tem increased from abou 36degrees to almost 40degrees and it seems that the fan is spinning at only 11%. Can i change the thermal profile in order to keep it more cool?

THX

oe2ThohNgei5
Occasional Visitor

It seems that I'm not able to download the current firmware anymore as the warranty ran out.

I never heard of a company doing something like this. Is it possible to get the current 11/02/2015 version from somwhere else?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Windows -

cp031064.exe

Try this

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

oe2ThohNgei5
Occasional Visitor

thank you!

Ignatious
Visitor

Hi All.

I spent 3 days trying to work out this high fan noise issues.  The solution provided below is nonsense.  

I had my bios and firmware updated to the latest levels using the SPP Oct 2016.   Installed Windows 2012 Standard server and the fan noise was unbearable.  I then followed what is suggested below as a solution which is to "Case closed, the official solution is to configure the B120i in RAID mode. That would mean configuring at least one disk as a RAID-0 array"

I created two raid 0 volumes as I wanted to use the Sata Port 5 for the OS and 1-4 as Data Volume.  The result was 70% fan RPM when Windows fully loaded.

I have since then tried Legacy SATA mode which gives me two seperate SATA controllers affectively as I wanted to keep the OS on the ODD port.  Windows 2012 fully loaded and running heavy CPU apps as well and the FAN speed is at surprising level of 11% which I can hardly hear.  IF anything I can hear the hard drives spinning and no FAN noise at all.

So if you can live without using the B120i controller then dont use it use the Sata Legacy mode and have a quite server which can sit in the living room now.  :)

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Glad you got it working the way you wanted.  I don't really mess much with Windows on any of the servers, but I'm suprised you have low fan speed and can boot from the ODD port with the B120i disabled.

Ignatious
Visitor

Check this out. I went for the cheap option. No SSD.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/le1vh6eplv92t9i/20170215_200012.jpg?dl=0
Ignatious
Visitor

DangoPC
Occasional Visitor

Guys, I just bought my DL380e G8 with H220 card. Plant to use for FreeNAS. H220 is in IT-mode. Same issue with loud fans at optimal setting. Fans from 1-6 are running at 35-40-70-70-70-70. If I remove the H220 card, it will drop to 20% ish. Thats with no HDD in the system. I boot from USB drive that connect to the back of the case.

What should I do in this case?

GregorMuc
Occasional Visitor

Hi All

I have issues with loud fan, even with 120i in RAID mode and one drive configured as RAID-0 I still have 42% in idle mode.

HD-Max is reporting 35 degree. Just tried all I found on internet to slow it down, but no luck so far.

subsix
Frequent Advisor

This sounds odd. Our (two) machines have their fans spinning below 20% even in a summer warm office. Noise is acceptable. However, this is with the B120i in AHCI mode.

When we bought our first Gen8 Microservers we had noise issues but these were fixed with a BIOS update in 2015. What BIOS version is on your Microserver Gen8? Current is: 2015.11.02 (24 Okt 2016).

Peter

GregorMuc
Occasional Visitor

System ROM J06 11/02/2015 System ROM Date 11/02/2015

I have feeling is something to do with P212 currently installed. 

subsix
Frequent Advisor

That might be the case indeed. We only had H220s installed in our machines for a while but reverted back to using the builtin B120i. Not sure, though, whether it would be possible for you to remove the P212 (temporarily) to determine whether that makes a difference...

Peter

GregorMuc
Occasional Visitor

Not really can remove P212 right now, I'm remote to my Microserver. Just tried SATA Legacy, SATA AHCI, no diference. Whatever mode I chose it spin up to 42% and stays there....bit anoying.

Quinten
Occasional Visitor

Hi everyone, here's a result that might help.

I happen to have 2 Gen8 microservers, the first one's fan is not noisy, the second is unbearable.

After hours of trying to solve this problem I tried something basic.

I placed the 2 machines next to each other and swopped the system fan plugs.

Now the first one is noisy and the second is fine, the fault is following the fan!

This for me in my case concludes that it's not the Bios, Raid, AHCI, ILO or anything software related.

It's the FAN!!

I speculate that theres a bad batch of fans in circulation and HPE needs to step up and replace them.

I hope this helps.

Highlighted
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

wrote:

Hi everyone, here's a result that might help.

I happen to have 2 Gen8 microservers, the first one's fan is not noisy, the second is unbearable.
After hours of trying to solve this problem I tried something basic.
I placed the 2 machines next to each other and swopped the system fan plugs.
Now the first one is noisy and the second is fine, the fault is following the fan!
This for me in my case concludes that it's not the Bios, Raid, AHCI, ILO or anything software related.
It's the FAN!!

I speculate that theres a bad batch of fans in circulation and HPE needs to step up and replace them.
I hope this helps.

What do you mean by noise? 

The issue in this topic thread isn't about a bad fan, it is the way iLO handles hardware changes.  By default the embedded SATA controller is in B120i RAID mode. In this mode the OS loads a controller driver that allows iLO to monitor drive temperature., and the fan run at a steady 6%. When you put the controller in SATA mode, iLO can no longer read the drive temperature, as a failsafe to protect the hardware, iLO ramps up the fan speed. Originally it was close to 50%. The ROM and thermal teams worked on the fan algorithms to slow the fan down considerably when in SATA mode, still not the super quiet 6% fan speed, but much more tolerable. 

oe2ThohNgei5
Occasional Visitor

wrote:

What do you mean by noise? 

The issue in this topic thread isn't about a bad fan, it is the way iLO handles hardware changes

Actually it is. The topic is about everything that's causes the server to be noisy which is why this topic is called "MicroServer Gen8 is noisy".

And it seems that there are more causes and solutions than only one. So for some it might be a bad fan.