4078 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
DangoPC

Guys, I just bought my DL380e G8 with H220 card. Plant to use for FreeNAS. H220 is in IT-mode. Same issue with loud fans at optimal setting. Fans from 1-6 are running at 35-40-70-70-70-70. If I remove the H220 card, it will drop to 20% ish. Thats with no HDD in the system. I boot from USB drive that connect to the back of the case.

What should I do in this case?

GregorMuc

Hi All

I have issues with loud fan, even with 120i in RAID mode and one drive configured as RAID-0 I still have 42% in idle mode.

HD-Max is reporting 35 degree. Just tried all I found on internet to slow it down, but no luck so far.

subsix
Frequent Advisor

This sounds odd. Our (two) machines have their fans spinning below 20% even in a summer warm office. Noise is acceptable. However, this is with the B120i in AHCI mode.

When we bought our first Gen8 Microservers we had noise issues but these were fixed with a BIOS update in 2015. What BIOS version is on your Microserver Gen8? Current is: 2015.11.02 (24 Okt 2016).

Peter

GregorMuc

System ROM J06 11/02/2015 System ROM Date 11/02/2015

I have feeling is something to do with P212 currently installed. 

subsix
Frequent Advisor

That might be the case indeed. We only had H220s installed in our machines for a while but reverted back to using the builtin B120i. Not sure, though, whether it would be possible for you to remove the P212 (temporarily) to determine whether that makes a difference...

Peter

GregorMuc

Not really can remove P212 right now, I'm remote to my Microserver. Just tried SATA Legacy, SATA AHCI, no diference. Whatever mode I chose it spin up to 42% and stays there....bit anoying.

Quinten

Hi everyone, here's a result that might help.

I happen to have 2 Gen8 microservers, the first one's fan is not noisy, the second is unbearable.

After hours of trying to solve this problem I tried something basic.

I placed the 2 machines next to each other and swopped the system fan plugs.

Now the first one is noisy and the second is fine, the fault is following the fan!

This for me in my case concludes that it's not the Bios, Raid, AHCI, ILO or anything software related.

It's the FAN!!

I speculate that theres a bad batch of fans in circulation and HPE needs to step up and replace them.

I hope this helps.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

wrote:

Hi everyone, here's a result that might help.

I happen to have 2 Gen8 microservers, the first one's fan is not noisy, the second is unbearable.
After hours of trying to solve this problem I tried something basic.
I placed the 2 machines next to each other and swopped the system fan plugs.
Now the first one is noisy and the second is fine, the fault is following the fan!
This for me in my case concludes that it's not the Bios, Raid, AHCI, ILO or anything software related.
It's the FAN!!

I speculate that theres a bad batch of fans in circulation and HPE needs to step up and replace them.
I hope this helps.

What do you mean by noise? 

The issue in this topic thread isn't about a bad fan, it is the way iLO handles hardware changes.  By default the embedded SATA controller is in B120i RAID mode. In this mode the OS loads a controller driver that allows iLO to monitor drive temperature., and the fan run at a steady 6%. When you put the controller in SATA mode, iLO can no longer read the drive temperature, as a failsafe to protect the hardware, iLO ramps up the fan speed. Originally it was close to 50%. The ROM and thermal teams worked on the fan algorithms to slow the fan down considerably when in SATA mode, still not the super quiet 6% fan speed, but much more tolerable. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
oe2ThohNgei5
Occasional Visitor

wrote:

What do you mean by noise? 

The issue in this topic thread isn't about a bad fan, it is the way iLO handles hardware changes

Actually it is. The topic is about everything that's causes the server to be noisy which is why this topic is called "MicroServer Gen8 is noisy".

And it seems that there are more causes and solutions than only one. So for some it might be a bad fan.

thiagotgc

Even operating in RAID, the FAN is more than 50%.

I'm using RAID 1 + 0

Does anyone have any solution? It's unbearable!