Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
ProLiant Servers - Netservers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MicroServer N36L - No IP-Config / LAN connection possible

kidata
Occasional Collector

MicroServer N36L - No IP-Config / LAN connection possible

Hi,

i've got a new ProLiant MicroServer N36L and can't get it connected to my (DSL) router.

The NIC-LED is just blinking very fast, when i connect the patch-cable to my router, but no IP-config will be established from the DHCP in the router.

I've checked the cable with my laptop - no problem, ethernet connected, correct IP and subnet mask given from DHCP.

Also manual network configuration doesn't work.

Tried Ubuntu Server 12 and Windows 8 CP - same issue on both.

Any suggestions for this problem? Maybe some BIOS settings necessary? 

3 REPLIES
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: MicroServer N36L - No IP-Config / LAN connection possible

Hi,

does your router perhaps limit MAC-addresses that may connect?

Tried the same port that your laptop is connected to?

You could of course also try a cable between the server and the laptop, can you get connectivity that way?

Could you try installing a supported OS?

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=4310887

For RHEL5 try for example CentOS 5 or Scientific Linux 5, they are both free and clones of RHEL5.
kidata
Occasional Collector

Hi,

i tried the same port that the laptop connects to and there is no MAC filtering active.

But i didn't try a direct connection between laptop and server with a patch cable - IMHO this works only with a crossover cable, right? If all else fails, i will give it a try.

Currently i stuck with installing CentOS 5 from USB-Key -  it's kind of tricky, but i keep trying ...

I've attached a view from NIC config and the routers config - same MAC but different IPs?!

Didn't understand how this could be.

kidata
Occasional Collector

Hi,

finaly got CentOS 5.8 installed.

But still the same problem: eth0 couldn't be activated, IP-Config failed. 

The router (SIEMENS SL2-141-I) says hp-server is connected at 192.168.1.52 but the NIC-LED keeps blinking hectic. Maybe there's a hardware problem?