1748137 Members
3644 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Microserver G8 - Embedded Flash/SD-CARD

Coollogin
Collector

Microserver G8 - Embedded Flash/SD-CARD

I have a problem with my Microserver G8. 

Embedded Flash/SD-CARD. Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 NAND read failure: Media is in a WRITE-PROTECTED state.

I update iLO Firmware to v. 2.70,  tried to format, turn off the power for a long time - nothing helps. 

I wrote to  support, but they suggested replacing the motherboard at a cost more expensive than the new server! I use it only for home, and buy a new server again is very expensive! I began to search for information on the Internet - this is a massive problem, but there is no solution.

Are there any other ways to restore, repair the server?

6 REPLIES 6
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Microserver G8 - Embedded Flash/SD-CARD

DId you unplug the system after formatting the NAND? Turning it off is not enough, you need to remove power from the system. If you have formatted the NAND, unplugged the system, and still have the error, the NAND may be damaged.  You can try updating intelligent provisioning, which re-images the NAND

v1.71 is the latest Intelligent Provisioning Recovery Media for Gen8
 https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_a2b2caf8066e4a8b82a966d628#tab1

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Coollogin
Collector

Yeah, I unplug the system after formatting the NAND, but the error is still displayed.  I many times try to updating intelligent provisioning, but returned error =(

MoisesPerez
Advisor

Hi Coollogin,

Unfortunately if formatting the NAND and doing a cold reboot after formatting it does not resolve the issue the only way to fix it is replacing the system board (I have replaced a lot in the data center I work because of this). You may want to solve this but, this won't affect your system directly in the mean time so, don't panic. 

Coollogin
Collector

I don't understand why the cost of the motherboard is higher than the new server (with case, cpu, ram,...). It's even more surprising that so big problem, many cases and there is no adequate solution. I am ready to change the motherboard, but its cost should be lower than the new server! Or may be possible to solder the nand chip or controller, or something else? If I knew where to buy spare parts, I would change them myself.

MoisesPerez
Advisor

I understand the frustration. This kind of errors should have multiple ways to be fixed instead of replacing the whole system board. And yes, they are expensive, however depending on your warranty and location you can open a HPE case here and they should send you a new system board with a technician to swap it.

Coollogin
Collector

Maybe this specifics of support HP in Russia. I was told the cost of replacing the motherboard - 870$ But I buy a new server in official store for 400$! Or is this normal for HP?