New Discussion юеВ

Microserver Gen 8. Boot problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pjagudo
Frequent Visitor

Microserver Gen 8. Boot problems

Hi.

I have a hp microline gen 8, with 6TB disks in ports 1 to 4 and another 120GB disk in port 5, replacing the cd.

I would like to install OpenMediaVault 4.1.3, using this last disk for the system and the 6 TB disks (software RAID 5) use them as storage. I have tried it in several ways, but once the system is installed, I always have problems with the system startup. Can someone guide me on how to configure the controlled SATA so that the system starts correctly?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Microserver Gen 8. Boot problems

With the Microserver Gen8 design, it was never intended to have a boot hard drive on the optical drive SATA port. That being said, many have done it, and there are a few ways to accomplish what you are attempting to do. If you search here, or at the homeserver forums you will see those who have been succseful in various ways.. I think the most common being using the B120i RAID mode. This will allow the optical SATA port to be used as a boot device as long as there is a RAID driver available for the OS you are using.  One option I've thought about but never tried is to use a small capacity microSD card to put the bootloader on and then use the ODD port for the OS. The microSD port can be set as the primary boot device if I recall. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Pjagudo
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Jimmy for your answer.

Do you know what is the forum link of this server? I've been looking and I can not find it.
I tried to do something similar to what you indicate, but I did not have a MicroSD card and I used a pendrive in the internal USB port, but I can not get it started correctly.

Finally, OpenMediaVault is developed on Debian. I think there is no problem with the drivers of the B120i RAID because, when I activate it and create the volumes, the installation recognizes them, although it is true that it does not show them in the order in which I create them.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

@Pjagudo wrote:

Thanks Jimmy for your answer.

Do you know what is the forum link of this server? I've been looking and I can not find it.
I tried to do something similar to what you indicate, but I did not have a MicroSD card and I used a pendrive in the internal USB port, but I can not get it started correctly.

Finally, OpenMediaVault is developed on Debian. I think there is no problem with the drivers of the B120i RAID because, when I activate it and create the volumes, the installation recognizes them, although it is true that it does not show them in the order in which I create them.

The B120 driver is a closed source driver and is kernel version dependant. There is not a version for Debian or Debian variants.  google 'homeservershow forums' should be the first link that pops up. They have a forum dedicated to the Gen8 Microserver. You would need a P222 Smart Array for OS inbox supported RAID driver.   I've also used the other Gen8 Smart Arrays in the Microserver such as the P420

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!